M3 (M-cubed) Rolling Chassis

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started the pile of parts last year, but nothing has been assembled...only disassembly so far, I assume that's a fair place from which to begin the Build-off. Frame is a '58 Schwinn spitfire. Part of me feels bad about my plans for a paint job; I have so much respect for the "current state" look of old cruisers. But then I see what other builders are planning to disassemble, and I figure I have permission from the universe.

g991.jpg

More parts peeks soon.

And I bid on a shifter today (yes, gears). That may be the real engineering challenge, frankengearing!

Here we go.

Re: Inception of M3 (M-cubed)

Nice start! With all the hacking and painting on this site, very little is sacred... :)

Twisted Root said:
I started the pile of parts last year, but nothing has been assembled...only disassembly so far, I assume that's a fair place from which to begin the Build-off.

:lol: :lol: I get the feeling theres been collecting for this one going on for more than a year.. :roll:

those faded rams horns could never be reproduced you know... right??

Yea, collecing for a while. but how's that relate to the rat-heads with a garage full of parts? :D

And if by ram's horns your referring to these:
bars.jpg

I'm pretty sure that they're repros, they're in great shape, and I didn't pay enough for them to be originals. Not sure they are going on this build though...my vision is changing.

I've never paid much attention to chainguards, but now that I'm using one I noticed your "wing" guard... cool.

Good luck!

OK, you all are so good at documenting your ideas, philosophies, procedures and technical details...it makes me feel behind on this. (.... my day-job.)

But I might as well give some hints on my plans and a few new peeks at my parts.

I'm really in love with the board-track look, so that's what I'm going to try to build. But, I want this thing to be rideable...functionally rideable, not just technically rideable so it meets contest guidelines. Yea, my Blue Meany (RIP) monkey-bar lowrider could be ridden, but not very fast, or very far...it was easier to just walk. But for M3 (or whatever I will eventually call it) I want to be able to cruise the bike.

This whole infatuation for building a rat-bike came from the loss of my first cruiser (the Shadow...RIP too. Some dirt hippies stole it to buy meth. Yea Oregon). See the photo:

IMG_0661.jpg

That bike rode...pretty well, it just didnt stop too good and the seat hurt. But now I want a functional cruiser that looks good and runs good. I know that there are moden manufacturers that are selling pretty sweet cruisers. But I want an old bike, not something new with Rat styling. And that's why, even though I really appreciate the aesthetics, I'm not building a red-rimmed, flat-black archetype of the rat...They're just to readily available off-the-shelf these days. I love classic rat styling, but it needs to be custom...different.

And it needs to be rideable, like get to dance class in style rideable. See, riding my MTB or my skinny slick roadie in a black leather jacket and Fluevogs just doesn't work well, mostly due to the SPD pedals and such. But wearing spandex and "tap" shoes to the Tango scene just seems too bike-geeky. So I want something with style to get me across town while I'm dressed like a urban hipster (which I really am, really, I'm not a geek, no really).

So, for a first peek at the parts that I hope will make this ride actually rideable, see the photo below. It's a Sram 3-speed coaster-brake hub mounted on a Weissmann rim with a 24 X 3 Fatti-O tire. Thanks to all who helped me determine if (and which) 24 X 3 would fit my frame before I bought an expensive hub and had it built onto a 24" rim using custom spokes. Oh, yes, there are cheap 3-speed coaster hubs out there, but I needed the Sram for reasons I will divulge later, and wheel building of this caliber is out of my realm of expertise. So, yes, some money went down for this component, but well...oh well.

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

It begins...er, um...continues.

OK, so the mockup has begun...

Q: What's the best thing about being a grown-up?
A: Being able to work on your bike in the living room, without having your mom get on your case (at least that's the PG-13 answer, for this site).

IMG_0154.jpg

PS my girlfriend is great...She thinks it's sexy when I do projects.

Anyway, it's a learning experience. All these old parts don't necessarily go together very well, nor do they take the addition of new parts very well. And then, as soon as you try to mix/match something that wasn't supposed to go somewhere in the first-place...it causes a ripple effect that creates hurricanes in the South Pacific, not to mention a bike that doesn't run...yet.

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

So I like a lot of things about this bike already. But there are some aesthetic, and some mechanical, things that have to change:

I don't have a long enough chain yet...and I want a black & silver one, (haven't found one in town yet). But I threw an old/short chain over the tops of the gears and there seems to be insufficient tire clearance. I thought it was OK with the old sprocket. Hmmm.

Plans to fix this go like this: 1. Get a skinny 3/16" chain. 2. Skew the rear wheel a tad in the dropouts (but I don't have much wiggle room). 3. Ask a pro if there is a way to adjust the crank/sprocket position by where the bottom-bracket bearings are set in the frame (possible?). 4. Go back to the original spider and sprocket and try to flip it around to move the sprocket to the outside to gain offset. Then, if that works, get one that I like the looks of. 5. Purchase another sprocket that is designed purposefully for creating offset (I have a link to a source in Denmark), and hope that I can run the chain at an angle, or get an offset cog for the SRAM hub (Unlikely, huh). 6. Pull out all my hair and give up.

It's not that I'm stuck on the iron cross chainring (though I am a bit impressed by how retro-rat it looks against the red frame), but I'm planning something cleaner looking and couldn't find a plain solid sprocket without some silly graphic or another (no offense to anyone building a Hells-Angels looking chopper). But If I have to go to the spider to get offset, so be it.

Other mechanics: I have a bad feeling that the shocks will bottom out on the 700c front tire. (Yea! 700c...Tell me you've seen 24x3 and 700c together before. Oh, you have? Well then tell me you've seen a 700c white wall tire before. Really, that was a hard thing to find.) Anyway. I had some new dropouts for the Monark cut out, but the dude didn't have the right gauge metal. I said it was OK to use thicker...it wasn't.

IMG_0153.jpg

You see, the pivot bolts have over-sized shanks above the threads, it keeps the nut from pinching the whole thing too tightly to pivot. The nut bottoms out on the shank instead of the plate. The thicker pivot plate means that the nut clamps down on the whole stack and the thing doesn't move. I need to just ride carefully for a while (no potholes, or I'll end up over the bars), and then eventually cut some new pivot plates/dropouts. It was pretty cheap actually.

The seatpost is really tight in there. I want to be able to adjust the seat easily, from "show-low" to rideable high. Remember I said I want this bike to be rideable. I'm willing to have that QR clamp to have to options. Do you like the seat? Vintage Motobecane, pretty good shape, black, with that great flying-M logo (nothing to do with the name of the bike, which may change).

Those pedals are junk. Dont buy them unless you "have" to have the teardrop look. You can get just as good (er, bad) rubber block pedals for 1/3 the price. Oh well...spend and learn. (speaking of spend and learn...more on the Monark fork later.)

The handle bars? I have mixed feeling. They were practically the first part I bought (when I knew what kind of frame I wanted, but didn't even have it yet). But now, I'm thinking more board track and less utility tanker. Hmm. Anyone have opinions? I do like them...but I'm gonna keep my eye out for cooler. PS these are new reproductions and the cross-bar is not even welded in place. Don't be fooled when you purchase your's.

The stem is a great, retro, art-deco thing. But again I might want something less dainty and cruiser...and more muscle-y instead. And I want to be able to flop the bars (if I get other bars) from donkey-ear to upright easily (showable vs. rideable). I'm thinking one of those BMX front-bolted plate stems. Opinions?

Anyway, I need to figure-out the chain clearance issue before I go any further with aesthetics, or even shifting for that matter. It's fun...and that's half the point...the other half will be riding the thing.

Peace!

I really like the tire combo. Big and Littles, mixed with 26 and 700, matched with whitewalls and black rims. Good choices.

I'm looking forward to more on your build.

Thanks. It's actually a 24 (x 3) and a 700c. Of course, I thought that I thought the idea up, until I really started paying attention to the photos in the gallery. Lots have done it before me. But I guess it's cause its such a good look. My goal now is to do those rollers justice with the rest of the build.

Latest posts

Back