Lucky Strike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got busy on the painting this weekend and I think I have everything at least in the first color some stuff I going to wait till Tuesday for the paint to dry and do some masking and paint the other color going on. Didn't get any pics of the sanding and priming just some semi finished pics of the parts hanging in the shop.
IMG_20230701_193350913_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230702_160659819.jpg
almost forgot about the dust shield so I used my little blaster on them.
IMG_20230702_140904912.jpg
IMG_20230702_141112071.jpg
IMG_20230702_141257462.jpg

I remembered about the white walls on a Schwinn meridian in the shed pulled it out took the wheels off and cleaned them up with some awesome and swapped them over to a different set of rims.
IMG_20230702_144306797.jpg
IMG_20230702_180851079_HDR.jpg

I'll see how they look at least until I can figure out something for the cream set of tires that are different shades probably from the one hanging in my shop for about 2 years and the other being new.

Finished painting the rest of the parts and gave them some time to dry. Then this morning I started putting parts on liking the way it's coming together. Going to see what other seats I have the brown one just don't look right. Don't think I have any other ones that will look any better might have to recover one a different color.
IMG_20230704_102705194.jpg
IMG_20230704_164047318_HDR.jpg

I set the white wall tire in place to see how it looked not really liking it. Tried the cream same thing. The only one that looked good was the Electra flames but they are too wide for the fork. Might have to do some tire change with my class 2 build.

Finished painting the rest of the parts and gave them some time to dry. Then this morning I started putting parts on liking the way it's coming together. Going to see what other seats I have the brown one just don't look right. Don't think I have any other ones that will look any better might have to recover one a different color.View attachment 239665View attachment 239666
I set the white wall tire in place to see how it looked not really liking it. Tried the cream same thing. The only one that looked good was the Electra flames but they are too wide for the fork. Might have to do some tire change with my class 2 build.
Very classy

When I look at this photo, I see how well the colors in the wood on the wall blend in with your bike frame / fork.

brian bike.jpg

Since it's a Lucky Strike, maybe tobacco colored tires? So a brown, tan, look with maybe a cream sidewall?

Continental Ride Cruiser. I've used these, ride great, good look.

conti ride cruiser.jpg

Schwalbe Big Ben. Not as wide as the Fat Franks, same great ride feel and appearance.

brian tire.jpg

Duro small brick with a cream wall.

duro tire.jpg

I don't remember if you have black or chrome rims for this one. I'll look back in the thread and see.

Finished painting the rest of the parts and gave them some time to dry. Then this morning I started putting parts on liking the way it's coming together. Going to see what other seats I have the brown one just don't look right. Don't think I have any other ones that will look any better might have to recover one a different color.View attachment 239665View attachment 239666
Loving the color combo! Well executed.

I have these Electra flames that are rubbing the inside of the fork they look the best out of what I have on this bike. The only place that they rub is where it curves out by where the side wall meets the tread. I'm wondering if I could just take a little off in that spot to get enough clearance. Feeling the inside of the tire feels like there is enough rubber there.
IMG_20230705_173227951_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230705_173334264_HDR.jpg
Any ideas on how to?

I once shaved off an edge of some Schwalbe Crazy Bob's with a really sharp blade. I held the blade along the inside of the fork for stability and slowly spun the wheel. Turned out reasonably good.

Does the rear tire fit alright? If so, then if you have an extra fork that is wider in your work shop, mount that to a vise, and proceed with that idea he proposed. There is a lot of rubber on that ridge on those Electra tires, and that is always the problem spot.

The other way would be to create a small dent in the fork where the tire passes on the inside of the fork leg.

Or, acrylic RaT-ina on your 'cream' tires, darken both, and go that route.

I have those Electras on 2 bikes. I’ve always suspected they are wider than 2.125

Does the rear tire fit alright? If so, then if you have an extra fork that is wider in your work shop, mount that to a vise, and proceed with that idea he proposed. There is a lot of rubber on that ridge on those Electra tires, and that is always the problem spot.

The other way would be to create a small dent in the fork where the tire passes on the inside of the fork leg.

Or, acrylic RaT-ina on your 'cream' tires, darken both, and go that route.
Yeah rear has plenty of clearance I think I will try @hbn idea and maybe clean up with a belt sander.

I have those Electras on 2 bikes. I’ve always suspected they are wider than 2.125
It's just that part where the tread goes out past the side wall on these .

Took my grinder with a flap wheel to the lip that ran on the edge of the tread got that down to the side wall still wouldn't fit sidewalls are rubbing. Changed out the tires on my class 2 build to the cream set and tried the skin wall tire on the fork and that rubs.
IMG_20230708_102844473_HDR.jpg

I measured the inside of the rollfast fork and had like 2" then I measured the inside of the Columbia fork and it has about 2 5/16" so going to change out to that one. Got it painted up this morning and I'll give it some time out in the sun to dry. I also have the fork off the Schwinn I cut up for my class 2 build that is around 2 3/4" but don't really like the look of it.

Swapped out the fork with the Columbia one and same thing not fitting. Tried the skin wall no luck the only other ones I have are some white wall tires. So I put that on a front rim and tried it just enough clearance so that's what I will be running on here.
IMG_20230709_180753204_HDR.jpg
might try some shoe polish or something else to get the sidewall white again.

Swapped out the fork with the Columbia one and same thing not fitting. Tried the skin wall no luck the only other ones I have are some white wall tires. So I put that on a front rim and tried it just enough clearance so that's what I will be running on here.View attachment 240430might try some shoe polish or something else to get the sidewall white again.
IMG_1620.jpeg

Back