Lowey Speedster (world's slowest build thread)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
There's no way that I'd have the patience to wait for the next BO to start his project, and/or won't have the funds to collect the parts to finish it this summer, so it goes here all by it's lonesome.

So. While I may bleed Ford blue (I build Cammer's as my day job), in my heart I'm a Studebaker guy. I remember distinctly that fall day in 1981 or so when Hot Rod did it's review of the new Trans Am and described it as having 'the lowest coefficient of drag of any American car since the 1953 Studebaker' (or some close approximation, it was 30 years ago). I was laying on the carpet in front of the TV, looked over my shoulder and asked my dad how this could be? Fifties cars were big and bulky and square, or worse, with a bunch of crap fins and chome hanging off them. He gave me one of those 'no my son, if you only knew' looks and disappeared into the back room and returned with a stack of Hot Rod Pictorials from the 60's. We spent that evening flipping through the pages of Studes at Bonneville and I was forever hooked. Ten-years-old, and I was the only kid in town whose 'grail car' was not a Countach, but a Studebaker. I eventually would own a couple, a 62 Hawk which donated it's best bits for the '55 Commander Hardtop I eventually had to part with, but my lust for the Lowey coupes and Avanti's hasn't abated all these decades later. Financial realities mean I'm a Schwinn guy now, so here we go.

If you're not familiar with Raymond Lowey, he and his firm were brought in as designers for some of the most iconic American cars of the post-war period (he also invented that twisty thing in the bottom of your Chap-Stik,) including the famous 'Bullet Nose' cars:
50champ_deluxe3.gif

The Avanti
1963%20Avanti%20Brochure-04.jpg

Last edited:
And of course, the inspiration for this build, the famous 'Lowey Coupe' (here a hardtop)
1953StarlinerCoupe.jpg

So the idea is something that would look at home next to a Starliner or Avanti- European styling but American steel.

I'm starting with this 1967 Schwinn Fleet as it has the magic tabs for the Slimline tank:
IMG_20140507_081305.jpg

and will be taking it in this direction (don't laugh at the crap image editing skills lol)

1964-jaguar-dlr.jpg

Chopping the cantilever bars camelback/fastback style to lighten the look, the seatpost will be up-sized to accept a modern 27.2 post and laid back to be parallel to the head tube. I'm up in the air on the forks- I'd like to do some sort of springer, but while the Schwinn version is the most svelte, it also brings the eye up which I don't like. I', 6'2" and on the wrong side of 300, so I can't built this as slammed as many of you can and still ride it- I'm not looking to build a wall hanger. Keeping with the European theme, if it can be Campy, it will be Campy, hence why this will take so long lol.

The early stages...the crap no one but me will ever notice:
IMG_20140514_085704.jpg

cleaned up the drop outs...sexy

IMG_20140514_085718.jpg

getting rid of the carbuncles left over from the electro-forging and chainguard tabs and such. 90% sure I'm going to lose the kickstand and use this one:
$_57.JPG

it's Italian and aluminium after all...

Last edited:
lol, don't have enough skill to draw bars :(

Leaning either towards the aluminium KOS tribute bars or maybe just some aluminium ATV bars. There's a famous pic of him in the studio working on the 53 with a big poster on the wall with their motto- "Weight is the Enemy"

Last edited:
Ug. it's 105 outside and the northern half of Dago is on fire... good day to be inside.

This mess
IMG_20140514_133151.jpg

is going this direction...
omb7.jpg

Back