Lotus aka Swamp Flower

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swampthing

Rusty and broken, Still rolling.
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this around the time I started Fixed Pain for the build off. That’s a bike to pretend I’m 12 on, this one will be for my nighttime joy rides and an occasional commuter/ errand bike.
26F89BFC-DAB7-40BD-A69B-4FD7B629B10C.jpeg
70F5C06B-3EEA-4AB0-9158-BDD2343FA249.jpeg
2BFC928D-3D91-40E6-8D98-F9BA1F95BE5C.jpeg
DEEDB82C-AF1D-40F9-AA7D-81F94519FBA1.jpeg
09C7DC26-5523-4CFA-8279-112D0F96D1FB.jpeg

Bottom bracket dynamo, two chainrings and a Dingle in the back.
Geared for rides with pavement or all dirt.
Bull moose bars and one light on the front fork.
I need to rig up a rear light and do the wiring, and get some springs so I can put the brakes together.
Once I have brakes it it also has a double freewheel for the same gear ratios but with coasting ability in case I ever want that.
C8185DFF-05EA-489D-B7E2-22002F7FB20C.jpeg
D5674F92-647B-4007-A8C3-B25ABC22A6D1.jpeg
5C95C7AF-EA09-47D3-B6F8-5F24BEE78B03.jpeg
39FF860D-EF7A-4A8D-8998-47F5288756C1.jpeg
37B608EE-A384-4DE6-8C09-F4DB56EE7410.jpeg

What it needs now is:
Springs for the brakes
Pedal straps (maybe)
Rear light and wiring
A seat, a Persons Apollo would be my first choice, but maybe something more appropriate for the wet would be better.
I may take the rear steel rack off of my Haro and put it on this.
A couple little battery powered lights for when still or getting going/putting it away.
Fenders might be nice, the first test ride was on dirt, went about two miles and then Thor decided I needed a shower. It was a wild but fun ride home.
An appropriate first run for the swamp lotus.

Some states don't require a rear light, such as Colorado:

Every bicycle, electrical assisted bicycle, or EPAMD shall be equipped with a red reflector of a type approved by the department, which shall be visible for six hundred feet to the rear when directly in front of lawful lower beams of head lamps on a motor vehicle.

Most of my rides are at night.
I like a generator powered headlight because they are cool, and work even when I forget to charge them or change the batteries. Also, it’s kind of cool making my own power while I roll. A backup removable led light is nice for when stopped, or going for a walk.
I like a removable led light for the rear better than a reflector for a few reasons, although I guess I could mount a small reflector. I’m not sure if it’s a Florida requirement or not.
1 It’s removable
2 it’s removable and I can take it off and use it wander off in the swamp or woods/ make camp/ put my bike away when I get home.

I have a pair of rubber band mounted lights. I keep em in a bowl by the back door so I can grab em on my way out to the garage. Never remember the things. I used them as finger lights more often

Yep. Those cheap things are so useful.
Kids these days don’t understand the magic of a tiny bright rechargeable light.
I’m going to get an led bulb to put in my generator powered 1980s light fixture. I’ll get the best of both worlds.
I’m in Florida, about to drive to LA with my daughter. We are going to camp all the way, with some longer hiking trips away from the vehicle. Anyway going through my gear I have an old oil lantern and and old candle lantern. The kids wondered why I’d bother. “Why not just use a little light”
Back when I camped a bit for fun and spent about 6 Months a year in field camping at least 4 nights a week in various swamps around the country flashlights were heavy and batteries didn’t last, and I often had to be up at night to read or take notes and needed the light.
“Why didn’t you just use your phone?” ….
Lol
Anyway, tech is cool and all, but light from a flame when out in the woods just feels right. And I still like reading off printed paper, and riding a steel bike, and
GGET OFF MY YARD!!!
I’ve turned into a grumpy old man.

I use propane to cook and batteries for light nowadays, but I have fond memories of ThundrrrDad struggling away with the naptha.
vintage-coleman-stoves-lantern_1_99853d703896c0f971e503c46084034f.jpg

Lol we had tube frame canvas tents too. I'm so civilized now

Now I just need rear brakes, and the cables and levers and this is ready to roll.
I’m making a bag to fit on the front rack, and have panniers that can clip on the rear.
I also have a milk crate that can be cable tied on front. Not the prettiest things, but excellent for a quick shopping trip or trips to the hardware store.

I am a fan of being able to haul light loads, but have forever been opposed to the milk crate route. I've custom fabbed a few wooden rack crates over the years, as well as modded/reinforced wine crates for the task. The big attractions with the milk crate route are obvious though, especially the quick and easy factors.

Rear brakes and a comfy seat.
39E3EA15-DE93-4E2C-AE9B-AF89D236BEC6.jpeg
8F639689-BE81-49E1-9C38-B3BA59AB14C2.jpeg

And a little dinner cooking before it’s time to hit the hammock.
Getting ready fir a road trip soon.
I’m leaving next weekend to drive from Florida to California.
We will be camping all the way.
Maybe some longer stop overs if we like where we end up. If anyone has suggestions for cool stuff in the southern US we will in no way be traveling in a straight line.
PS the shiny cars in the background aren’t mine.
Swampy don’t do shiny.

Back