Looking for a headlight, what do you use?:

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a nice headlight on my cafe` racer inspired build. I'm not sure where to pick up a light/housing? I'm looking for a nice large circle light. Anyone know if there is one for a bike or is everyone modifying a junkyard gem to work? Thanks guys.

Here is what type of light I'm sourcing. (will take image down at owners request)
CIMG1582.jpg

I used a head lamp from a mid70s Kawasaki on my Flatliner bike. I powered it with a 12v gel cell battery I happened to have lying around. I built a box to hold the battery from old license plates.
19958_343610490277_118735470277_4817765_2386661_n.jpg

24469_363629565277_118735470277_4905784_5211165_n.jpg

There are a couple other options to power a light like this-
1. Replace the 12v bulb with a 6v and use a lantern battery. I don't know how long it will last since sealed beam bulbs tend to suck the juice.

2.Keep the 12v bulb and buy a 12v lithium ion battery. They are kinda pricey and I have heard they can be tempermental, but I don't have any personal experience.

3. Perhaps the most difficult, but most aesthetically pleasing, option would be to convert the original bulb to LED. This involves drilling or cutting the back side of the glass bulb. It has been done and there are a couple threads on here detailing the conversion.

I've used a headlight meant for technics [sorry, i must be mistaken, but i'm russian] and plumbers that i've bought in "all for radio-ggeks-shop", here's a pic:

it has adjustible angle and 7 diodes that work in two modes: 3 and 7 at once.

A 'technicians' lamp?, looks rechargeable? I like it, kind of a new gen take on the old self contained/box battery Brit lights.
I just took the reflector brackets for 7/8 and 1" tubes, pulled off the reflectors and taped them together, The 7/8 " fits the bars and the 1" fits the $3 (on sale) 9LED anodized in colors pocket flashlight from ACE Hardware; so for a total of $3 and change for tax I have a light that looks like the high priced stuff just for bikes!

Back