Longer wheelbase cantilever frame ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Newbie question here. I've noticed some beach cruiser cantilever frames look longer than others. The downtube looks horizontal when coming from the bottom bracket, then curves upward. Is this simply visual, or are there some beach cruisers that have slightly longer wheelbases? I'm not talking about stretch cruisers or 29ers, just regular ones. My Murray, and old Schwinn have 43/44ish inch wheelbases.

I'm 6'0". Not tall by today's standards, but I do feel a little cramped on a regular beach cruiser. I like the look of the longer (not Ape) handlebars but they hit me when I turn sharply. My mountain bike has nice straight handle bars, but cruising with that one hurts my back since I have to lean forward.

Thank you in advance for reading.

I know my dyno deuce frame is longer than my western flyer and rollfast canti's (both 58's). By how much.....not sure but i can feel a diference.

Most of the older (50's and 60's) cantilever frames are fairly close in size, with an 18" seat tube measurement. The Schwinn cantilevers (made in chicago) are nearly all the same size, although they made a king size cantilever frame for a short period of time in the 60's. Get one of those if you can. Other brands may have a longer top tube, which would give you more handlebar room, but a laid back seatpost (a tall one at that) may be the best solution. That along with adjusting the seat will move you back away from the handlebars a few or more inches.

Not sure if the wheelbase is what you're interested in or top tube length but a Giant Simple is 24" on center from headtube to seat tube - but then it isn't a cantilever frame. You might try wider buckhorn bars too- like 24" or 29".I could see wheelbase being a problem if the tire or fender is hitting your foot in a turn. FWIW my Giant Simple with a Jerry Springer has a wheelbase of 47".

Well I just measured a bunch of Canti and the Canti like frames, 38 Elgin, Space Liner, Murry, Coast King, Huffy Cranbrook and a newer unknown red frame with Budweiser on the frame. To keep the measurement and the different forks from the final equation. I measured from the center of the rear drop out at a 45* angle to the center of the head tube. All were with in an inch of each other. 38 to 39 inches. Even the Diamond frames are about the same.

My Dyno Moto Glide that I built up for RBBO7 measured in the 48-49" territory for wheelbase, but alot of that was in the chainstays.

Just measured all 4 of my canti frames.
Measured from middle of seat tube where seat goes in to middle of top of head tube.
58 western flyer= 22.25"
58-61 rollfast twin tube=23.25
2012 firmstrong urban=22.75
2001 dyno deuce=23.75"

LukeTheJoker said:
Hitting up Slowriderz for one of his lay back seat posts would fix your issues...

Luke.

+1

I'm 6'2" but have very long legs/arms...the layback made riding a joy again.

LukeTheJoker said:
Hitting up Slowriderz for one of his lay back seat posts would fix your issues...

Luke.

x2 on a layback post, and my '65 huffy silver jet is 44.8" wheelbase, and the top tube, for cockpit space, is 23 inches,

Thank you for the replies everyone!

You are all correct, looks like most of them were around the same wheelbase. To me, it looks to be an illusion from nice design. I just bought a classic Schwinn frame and compared it to my Murry. The head tube and seat tube are at a more laid back angle. The down tube starts horizontal before turning upward more sharply. The Murray which has a down tube which turns upward sooner and looks shorter.

Luke, thank you for the recommendation about the seat post. I will try Slowriderz.

Cheers! - Rob

Back