long fork chopper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here she is!! 24 inch wheels, 3 foot long forks. Total cost $6 (for some new bearings) Built over a weekend. I don't have a name yet. any suggestions for a name are welcome.

IMG_5290.jpg

IMG_5288.jpg

I have a thing about chrome spoke protectors. The kick stand is from a 26 inch bike. It appears the tyres were once white walls.

IMG_5294.jpg

I also have a thing about head stem mounted non idexed shifters.
IMG_5292.jpg

Shes a top ride, although I have to pedal using my heels. Excellent for popping wheelies. I'll post some more pics later, so you can see how she rides.

Here’s what I started with a 24inch mountain bike. This is my favourite kind of diamond frame, withn a sloping top tube, and a long front diamond . The 24 inch wheels also mean that I can sit on it with my feet flat on the ground
IMG_5252.jpg

I noticed that this bike had forks with a round profile and that they weren't tapered in any way. This led me to think that I could cut the forks and slide some one inch tube up the middle of them. Here's a pic of the starting materials. The yellow tubes are from a swing set.
IMG_5264.jpg

Next I cut the tubes and the pipe to length and hammered the tubes inside the forks. I beveled the edges of all the tubes to make the weld stick better. When I finished the forks were 3 feet long. My hunch was right, the pipe diameters matched perfectly.
IMG_5267.jpg

I spent a significant amount of time building a lay back seat post, but didn't use it in the end. The banana seat both looks and rides much better.
The handlebars are from a huffy kick bike
The spoke protector, shifters, grips, pedals, cables and part of the front brake were from some other bikes I had lying around. I also removed a bunch of stuff, and had to do some basic mechanical stuff. I'm not sure if I 'll paint it. If I do it'll be high gloss enamel dark blue, simiilar to the original

Here are some pics from different angles

IMG_5291.jpg

IMG_5295.jpg
`

IMG_5289.jpg

Oops, I said the forks were three feet long. I meant to say two feet. The two pieces of yellow pipe were cut to 14 inches and then hammered in at either end to a depth of an inch, making them 27 inches from the axle to the bottom of the head tube (roughly 2 feet).

SUPER AWESOME!!!!
Ive been thinking bout doing the exact same thing with a magna frame I got but didn't know how it would look. Now I know and im gona go for it.thanx for the inspiration!!!! :D

Back