Lock three speed to one gear

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can lock it into direct drive (2nd?) gear you might be a little better in the efficiency department than the other gears.

Korporal said:
If you can lock it into direct drive (2nd?) gear you might be a little better in the efficiency department than the other gears.
this.

Well my brother did not have anything I could use so have ordered the chain gear indicator off ebay will then have to figure out how to fix it into a single speed [maybe a pipe clip to the frame??]

MrG

Got rear tyre and tube fitted but made front look awful so ordered a tyre for the front!

Gear chain has arrived so hope to get it fitted next few days

MrG

Man if I was closer I'd say just trade me hubs, I'd love a 3 speed on mine. I'd even un-lace and re-lace both wheels.

Would prefer a single speed... but was quoted £60 [$95] for a complete rear [tyre, tube, wheel, single speed cog]

If I come across a three speed hob I will let you know

MrG

Well got gear chain and trying this idea...

IMG_0135.jpg

Will need washers and a nut to lock it...but it still allows me to find gear I want and of course still be able to remove the wheel for maintenance

Cable fed through top tube, tractor seat is now history... will paint up during winter months still not sure about stand

IMG_0147.jpg

I lost track of this thread for a little while. Why let a perfectly good eyelet go to waste?

I like the hidden cables too. Did you drill the top tube for the cables?

Top tube is drilled then I angled drill, holes are on opposite sides to allow cable to flow...

Put some tape around end of brake cable and once fed down tube .... fish it out other end. Cable cover simply follows path of brake cable

You will find that you can cut a the very least 6 inches of cable and cover, all saves weight...

My only concern is wear [at front of top tube] on cable sleeve, my dremel packed up at just the right time... :lol:

Hope this helps

MrG

Back