Little 5's

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are my current daily riders. The inspiration for the "Green Machine" is the early balloon tire Roadmaster racers that my father rode in the Little 500, with a few 80's BMX touches. The 70's AMF was a K-Mart 3-speed converted to coaster brake, similar setup as the AMF Roadmaster from Breaking Away, I refer to it as "Chocolate Cutters".

I'm still in search of the correct 50's or 60's Roadmaster frame to build the replica memorial bike for my dad who was a Little 500 in 1960 rider and passed away recently, as I posted over in the classifieds. Does anyone have one for sale?

green_machine_3.jpg

IMG_2626.jpg

I really like the Green Machine. Looks like it could fly! How'd ya get those big tires in those little dropouts?

What size tires are they?

From about 1950 through the late 60's the Little 500 bike race at Indiana University raced balloon tire Schwinn's for the first couple of years, then Roadmaster's.

Here's a photo from the 1950's to give you an idea of the inspiration behind these bikes I'm building. I'm still working on my Roadmaster, I'll post when it's further along.

2-003.jpg

Look at that seat post!!!!!! I wonder if they made those of solid steel being that long. Cool pic.

Back