light conversion question???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know there are people on the forum that are good with electrical and have converted old lights into LED light.. but my question is, can you convert an old light that runs off a generator into a battery powered unit... what size batteries would it use....... i would appreciate ne impute and pictures you might have.....

First it would depend on the voltage of the system- 6 or 12v, there might be more. Standard batteries (AA, C, D) are 1.5 volts each. If you have a 6v light you will need 4, 12v would need 8. D cell will last longer than AA.

Once you figure out hov many batteries you will need, time to mount them. They need to be mounted in series (+ to - , + to -). You can get battery holders at Radio Shack or other electronic shops. The light originally used the bikes frame as the ground and you can do the same by connecting the negitive side of the battery to the frame (needs to directly contact the metal of the frame, no paint or it won't work). The positive wire from the batteries will need to run to the switch on your light if it has one. If not, get one while you are at Radio Shack. The other terminal on the switch will run to the bulb (in the switch is mounted inside the light housing) or to the terminal on the light where where the wire from the generator was mounted.

Hope I didn't confuse you too much. It was kinda nice to put my education to use.

wow! lots of great info that was real easy to understand! :D ive got 2 conversions coming up,and this and the other light conversion thread somewhere,will make it much easier. :)

thanks for the info i am always Leary about electrical definitely no my strong point...

I will try to draw up some schematic drawings in MS Paint (not MY strong suit) when I get some down time at work tonight. Try to simplify it a bit more for anyone not electrically inclined. Might even try a photo write up this weekend. I've never converted one over and now I am really wanting to heat the old soldering iron up.

Not perfect, but it is a start. If you have any questions, ask away and I will try to answer them as best as I can.
2qiabky.jpg

Here is a 4 D-cell holder from Radio Shack. Retail is $1.89. Good for 6v. Get two for 12v, just connect red from one to the black on the other.
2cz59pt.jpg

Switches run from less than a buck for a plain ol' toggle switch up to $5 for a fancy light up one.

Latest posts

Back