Lets Talk Stretch Value

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying Zombie

~:Undead Forever:~
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was going through some accessories for my Columbia and happened across one of those Premade Stretch bike frames for 150-200 bucks, and I gotta say, as I looked at it a few times, it began to grow on me..

Im not too familiar with Stretch Bikes, so I figured I would start this post for the Differences between normal sized bikes and a stretch.
[I.E. Chain Wear, length and costs.., Physical differences, like how much strain it is on the back, and the options to aid this..Etc..]

I have found bits and pieces of information going through the forums, but none of it seems to be compiled, or specifically about Stretch Bikes.[Though I have missed threads before..]

Heres an example of the frame in question:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/26-Inch-RED...612?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item418ec91b34

Id sure like to hear feedback from stretch owners, Burrito Builders and the like for opinions on brands, parts..opinions and overall conversation about riding a bike of length..but as always, its an open forum and anyones posts are appreciated.
Thank you~

FZ

The stretch bikes are some of my favorite bikes to ride. The "ride" can very in comfort depending how the bike is set up of course. I have built a few that I felt had great style but were extremely uncomfortable to ride and then I have built them that I could ride all day long with no worry at all. Its almost like sitting in a recliner chair cruising down the road!

If you build the bike to fit your arm length, seating position and crank arm length you will love the ride!

As for the attachment you posted.. That is a knock off of a Dyno Roadster frame and the design is very popular in the stretch bike community. There have been many bikes created off of that base frame. I have done 4 or 5 myself and loved each one.

Below are a couple that I have done and road many miles on but sadly each one of them is now with a new owner. I am currently purchasing goodies for a new stretch build that I think I will hang onto for a while.:thumbsup:

Very comfortable riding position with these bars but with the flung out front fork it was next to impossible to ride! a lot of front end "flop over"
IMG_1407013480606_zps34e1a07c.jpg

Added apes and the ride was fantastic! Took some of the fork flop out but still a tricky ride. Very comfortable riding position.
2014-12-27 05.14.40_resized.jpg

Standard Stock Dyno style frame (this is a later Kustom Kruiser branded roadster 2003)
20140724_174524_resized_zps34edcdcb.jpg

This one was built off a Micargi stretch frame base. Standard springer front and custom bars made this one my very favorite ride of all of them. Logged a gang of miles on this old girl. Sold it to a mastermind forum member Ichoptop and he transformed it to the next level! Wish I had that one back haha.
20130224_095908_zps42390354.jpg

20130327_165910_zps12231490.jpg

after "Choptized" :rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout:

10538407_809339535789945_5994185542014920769_n.jpg

@Smoop- Glad you're Following! Gorgeous Bikes!

@slowriderz- This is excellent, exactly what I was looking for in terms of first info-filled post. I love the collections and the detail to my questions.
How do you feel about the Dyno Knockoffs in comparison to the Orginal Dyno Stretches?
[I follow a few pages on Facebook, and youre right, a VERY popular frame]

So in terms of someone with a little length and proper length, a comfortable ride for you is Apes and a standard Springer? [of quality of course..] The fit looks comfortable, and I do like the Apes approach to the stretch bikes..

[On a side note, if I got a hold of a steering wheel handebars, and stretch the neck on them to fit to the seated placement comfortably, would it..in theory turn properly or is the angle too..I dont know, arched?
I always considered building a bike that simulated the way it felt to drive a semi, cheater ball on the steering wheel and all.. figured Id ask while on the hunt, as a stretch would seem like the best fit of bike to simulate turns
]

Talk to me about weight, can I stock a good amount of junk on there before it gets too be ridiculous to peddle? [assuming adjustments are to my fit]

How do you feel about rear fenders on a stretch? I always figured if I built one, Id drop the seat onto the rear fender..and probably make it a tractor seat.., I see its relatively popular, but again, the ride is a dynamic Im at a loss for.

p.s Very nice work throughout. Impressive craftsmanship

Here's the opportunity to build up your own one of a kind stretch!:cool2:

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/gaskill-built-kustom-frame.89563/

Got it in a package deal!? Good score there!
Its beautiful, the metal cutouts, the pinstriping..A GasKill Bike to tip it all off., And another opportunity I wish I had more hours working.,
I couldnt afford it, as great of a build as it is.,Im in the 150-175 bracket right now, and thats just window shopping for the time being.
Coming from you CEEBEE, I sure appreciate the offer, but alas wouldnt be able to offer near what its worth in cool factor alone.
:banghead:
FZ

Got it in a package deal!? Good score there!
Its beautiful, the metal cutouts, the pinstriping..A GasKill Bike to tip it all off., And another opportunity I wish I had more hours working.,
I couldnt afford it, as great of a build as it is.,Im in the 150-175 bracket right now, and thats just window shopping for the time being.
Coming from you CEEBEE, I sure appreciate the offer, but alas wouldnt be able to offer near what its worth in cool factor alone.
:banghead:
FZ
I agree with the last five words in your post. "worth in cool factor alone"
In Stretch Bikes or Any Bike. In my mind, Any bike is only worth about 100.00 Max. ANY OF MY BIKES INCLUDED. Its the cool value that adds to it. and that's hard to add up. I have sold some of my bikes for more than 100, But I know it was cool value I was selling.
Either Here or on the Cabe. People are always bragging of what they sold their bikes for and then they also tell us they bought them for 35.00 :rolleyes:. or sold bikes for. Deep down I know it is hard to put a real price on stuff, without including cool value.
Bikes are all toys for me to play with. Not an investment like a 55 Corvette Car.
Its all Cool Value and Fun Value to me. Not an investment where I am going to get a big return on my money. Unless I pay 25.00 for a nice old bike. ;)

I agree on most levels, when I want a bike, I dont think much of the price so long as I like it and its reasonable ...
[sometimes not reasonable if I REALLY like it, but I tend to come here first before buying those mistakes..]
The Columbia wouldnt ever be sold to my known forseeable future, as its the first hard Classic in my collection and first bike from a Member here. Its got some serious Cool value to me, and much more than it'd ever sell for ^.6

My Otasco will have several changes done, pieces will probably be sold at some point, and bought at others for her.

Id value the frame personally at 200, given it doesnt look like a copy, I think its a genuine Dyno, on top of custom work, which could be whatever someone feels "ART" is worth, atop the art factor of the bike itself.. then cool factor, being a GasKill, Being a stretch, custom cutouts and paint.. color choice in pinstripe work..that tacks on another couple hundred bucks, honestly.. if I could afford it, in COOL Factor.. its worth it to me for 275, I just wish I had it.

I like the stretched bikes and I've had a few but don't have any of them any more. For me they weren't the most practical for everyday riding and I just didn't have enough room to store them for occasional riding. Once up to speed they were fine but taking off to beat traffic across a street, the wide turning radius and sitting low and possibly not being seen as well in traffic were issues I had with them. Mine were all single speed. I do wish I still had my Dyno knock-off.

1.jpg

P0004701.jpg

P0004377.jpg

Cam, Didn't you say you had too many bikes already?
Do you still have that Blue Stretch that you built? or did you sell it? PM me with your price. I have a friend who may be interested in that. Hey the Turtle does not move his arm here.... Oh that's right it is Taboo

@LocoJoe
Very Nice collection, Joe!
Shame you parted with them, but I can understand why.
I hadnt considered how long light stop takeoffs would be, though the thought really makes me giggle a little for all the traffic Each of us have waited for :p Be worth it to give some back.
I like the Wide Turns aspect, given my "trucker" idea with it, but the lowness might take some getting used to.., I have a lot I hadnt ruled in.. I mean you see the words stretch and low and they dont really register until you place yourself mentally hunkered down on one of those seats.,
All In All I feel It still wouldnt deter me, even being three stories up a narrow stairway to our one bedroom flat, but it does make me reconsider having a couch..[Decisions Decisions..]
Thanks for the Input!

As for me? You could say I like stretches a bit...
TheFuriousFive2.jpg

The Chrome Dyno Knock-off was the one that started it all.
As for riding, Mine are ridden regularly in Philly. I've not had any problems other than the occasiobnal trolley track. Then again since I ride them more than my regular bikes I may have gotten use to them.

As for me? You could say I like stretches a bit...
TheFuriousFive2.jpg

The Chrome Dyno Knock-off was the one that started it all.
As for riding, Mine are ridden regularly in Philly. I've not had any problems other than the occasiobnal trolley track. Then again since I ride them more than my regular bikes I may have gotten use to them.

LOVE that blue one.. details?

Cam, you got some nice bikes.... how's that kt kickback treatin ya? I recall you liked it alot when you had the red ike up at the PH...

FZ, the eBay bike is $260 shipped. The Gaskill-built is $275 plus shipping. To me, there's no contest, esp as CeeBee will charge actual shipping, whereas the ebay guy wants more for shipping than he does for the frame.

@808

No serious investment with that link specifically, more an example than anything else. I'll probably start with a used Dyno Knockoff, as their cheaper used, and the parts on it at first wont be too glammy either.. More a Price Efficient ride at first, and slowly save for better parts and interchange them as I go.

If it was between that link and GasKills, c'mon.. you gotta know in the four months I've been here that Id go GASKILLS every time a price is as close as that..
[even if it werent, itd be worth saving for if it didnt take me forever]
but like I said, my budget is more around 150-175 and Im more window shopping and gathering facts right now.

No worries, Im a Savvy little Evilbayer when I have to be.

LOVE that blue one.. details?
That's Big Blue. It's a Ruff Cycles Porucho Frame 3 speed with 26x3" tires and a Girvin Fork.
As far as the kickback hub wheelset on the Red Baron, I LOVE it! It's perfect for Philly cruising.

@Cam
Thats really sweet. I have hopes of something like that as my collection grows in the future!~

I can't speak from very much experience -- YET! -- but all of the stretch cruisers I've seen on this site and other places online were what prompted me to pick up my 2015 "project bike" and start trying to build a "stretch" out of a barely-used beach cruiser tandem: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-non-vintage-tandem-into-stretch.88747/

So far I've only made a few very short, cold-weather rides up and down my residential street (without working brakes) but so far what I've seen pretty much echoes what others have said earlier in this thread, and what I saw on a five-minute ride in October on someone else's Micargi stretch cruiser:

1) the extra length really smooths out the bumps -- every ride here starts with a short downhill driveway and then the "ka-thumpthump" of the wheels going over the concrete gutter/curb at the bottom where the driveway meets the street, and the longer frame flexes nicely and absorbs that bump! That's probably a good thing because my current riding position has my spine a little more straight up-and-down than I'm used to on other bikes.

2) the extra length does indeed mean that the bike turns like a tractor-trailer compared to my other, shorter bikes. I can just barely make a 180 degree turn on a residential two lane street without hitting the curb/gutter on either side, but I have to a) plan ahead, b) be going slow and c) have had my inside foot down every single time just in case I misjudged and hit the curb (which I haven't yet!) I'm sure it's going to get easier with practice, but so far I've only got about ten minutes of "saddle time" on that behemoth. :(

3) the lower riding position already had me worrying about being seen by cars -- I don't really want to build a cool-looking bike and then have to wear a reflectorized vest and/or mount a safety flag on the back of the thing! Then again, I don't think that a low stretch bike should be any harder to see than a "normal" recumbent bicycle, so I might be okay there.

4) that lower riding position, combined with the extra weight of the bike, seems to make starting from a stop a little more interesting. Longer, heavier, and lower all seem to combine for a bit of wobbling awkwardness for the first few pedal strokes, but I'm SURE that's just going to be a matter of getting used to it! :)

5) other problems that I may be facing -- that won't be an issue for single-speed, coaster brake stretch bikes -- include the dual drive chains and the extra-long shifter and brake cables. If I have to replace the back brake cable when I add taller handlebars, I may be forced to pay a premium for "tandem length" cables. One local bike shop had one dusty set in stock and the guy winced at the price before cheerfully telling me "those are a LOT, but they've got the pear-shaped roadie nipples at the end, and you need the barrel-shaped mountain bike nipples. I'd try [name of other LBS] and they'll probably have them for less." Extra-long cables shouldn't cost an arm and a leg, but I understand supply and demand, and there's a LOT less demand for tandem-specific parts. But if anybody's thinking about adding a handlebar-mounted rear brake to a stretch that might be something to consider.

Since I'm planning on keeping the dual-chain setup and modifying two cranksets that I found on eBay, I (hopefully) won't run into the same issues with the extra-long chains on most stretches, but I'm a little surprised that more stretches don't have "idler pulleys" to handle any extra slack in the chain, to keep the chain from bouncing all over the place.

I'm trying to patiently wait until spring gets here so I can start working on and riding this thing -- I'll know a little more about what I'm talking about once that happens!

And well said despite not feeling you had much to offer!
Good layout and easy to understand.

Your build is like one Ive seen before and had considered for my own, but I cant wrap my head around Tandem Frames :p
Its an excellent idea with the drop back apes and all, and Im sure rides like a tank rollin slow!~
I was considering building my own from frame up, and taking it the 3 speed route, with a shifter, and throwing the front brake handle between seat and bars on top tube. [suicide brake?] Im glad you mentioned brakes, I was gonna let that slip my mind on the next beer I had!:crazy:

Coaster for the rear.:dance2:

I cant wait to feel the sidewalks and curbs on something this size, and maybe a bit heavier ^.6
I sure appreciate the post, and didn't expect as much feedback as I've gotten, but I surely appreciate it, and I'm glad this thread has become successful for other Curious riders.

Thanks Raoul, so much!

Keep me posted on your details as you ride it more, I could always use the thoughts of a fellow rider, especially one with similar levels of experience in lengthy craft :cool2:

Latest posts

Back