Lets see your winter bike.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We got our first real snow last night, and I must say I take back all the dread I've had for winter ... it was just a total blast. My Heavy-Duti is still nowhere near as complete as I want it to be, but it was rideable. Combine my Heavy-Duti not being complete with the experience I had of riding through last winter on 26 x 1 3/8 tires, and I can't say I was too pumped for this, but it was just amazing. A fresh blanket of snow that traffic hadn't touched yet ... so much fun.

It was at night, so the pictures suck, but here are a few anyways. It's my Heavy Duti and my wife's Westpoint:

10offwi.jpg

htg378.jpg

I'm currently running Kenda Flame balloon tires on it. I don't have the studded tires yet; I figured I'd wait until I'm sure the bike is going to work before I make that investment. Not only did the tires work surprisingly well, my wife noted as she was following me that the tires leave flame tracks in the snow! It's hard to see, but here's a picture:

2aeq82t.jpg

Now that I think of it, I joined these forums nearly a year ago simply because I wanted to get some information on building a balloon tire crusier for the winter. A year later, it's crazy to think about how much I've learned, and last night proved it was absolutely time well-spent. I know what I'm building isn't anything near as impressive as what others here build, but I'm very thankful that people here have all been so helpful in making it happen. I had more fun last night on that bike than I would have with anything I could've just bought off the shelf, and I think that's what this place is all about.

Yes winter has kicked in here too. My favorite time of year for riding. It's called the Northeast Monsoon. The air is dryer so it feels much cooler. We hit a low of 21 (C not F) the other morning. I had to put on a t-shirt! This bike is built to take a beating with the heavy duty wheels and I can cruise all day if I like, with the huge seat and apes. And I can bolt on the sidecar anytime.

155jbf6.jpg

Yes winter has kicked in here too. My favorite time of year for riding. It's called the Northeast Monsoon. The air is dryer so it feels much cooler. We hit a low of 21 (C not F) the other morning. I had to put on a t-shirt! This bike is built to take a beating with the heavy duty wheels and I can cruise all day if I like, with the huge seat and apes. And I can bolt on the sidecar anytime.

155jbf6.jpg

Nice.... you got good weather, and a B_A bike. What frame is that? Something Pinoy, or something you'd brought with you...? Didn;t know OPC cranks were popular in other parts of the world....

Nice.... you got good weather, and a B_A bike. What frame is that? Something Pinoy, or something you'd brought with you...? Didn;t know OPC cranks were popular in other parts of the world....
I couldn't bring anything the size of a cruiser frame, too large. It had a label that said it was built here in the Philippines, but I think it's an old chinese frame refurbished here somewhere. OPC cranks?

I've got a 63' Typhoon I've been thinking of building a winter bike with...
:eek: but it's too cold to work in the garage.

I do think I'll be fabbing up some studded tires...
Anybody run them on the rear?
I think Metalchewy's rope trick sounds good.

Carl.

Persoanlly I took full advantage of tip#5. Got the heck out of the snow..came to Arizona 15 years ago and other than there is ZERO bike community out here it's an amazing life to be snow and cold free. Winter time is heaven for riding. So if you dont mind living in a place where no one talks to their neighbors and NO ONE speaks BIKE..come on out. If not..shovel your hearts out..IM GOING RIDING

The wife and I went to Sedona in April about 3-4 years ago. Here she is having the time of her life in Arizona away from all the snow we were having in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The pool was frozen and full of snow. There was still snow from this blizzard in the shaded areas and high places 10 days later when we went down to the Mexican border. The weather was better back home.

Our Rented Sedona condo
I'm Arizona Born and Bred.
I've been to Just about every town in the state, at least once.
Flagstaff.. Payson..Showlow..Route66. I have to say Sedona is one of those places my Pop brought me growing up time and time again, at different seasons, and I loved it more each time.
Beautiful photos, Really bring back memories. ^.6
-Jordan.

Tie a piece of nylon rope around the wheel/tire every fourth spoke and you have makeshift chains as well.
I'll be doin' this one, this year! Neat idea, I was wondering if cable or metal fittings might do better holding up? [with the same 4 spoke placing idea in mind]

-Jordan

We had a great time. The snow didn't bother us at all. It was downright balmy compared to the dark, windy, damp and slushy weather we left behind. The Grand Canyon was a gas with the snow. Hiking on the trails around Sedona was also fun. We went south into the desert almost every day to different State Parks and went hiking and bird watching. We got amazing pictures of birds.
Awh, Man, I bet!
What a great time, I'm sure. Being near the Canyon and the folks around there is pretty nice. The little shops and things you see along the way,..not to mention the drive there through the flatland and rock, cliffs hanging high, brushing contrails of fresh Red-Rock dust off the road as you pass through. The sights with that much expanse I find is just something for eyes of Awe and Amazement.
I haven't had the pleasure of Hiking the Grand yet, I was a bit of a munchkin when I saw that Big Hole, but another good time. My brother was lucky enough prior my birth to go with my dad on the train [don't know if its still running].. got some photos somewhere.

I just scored a Schwinn Frontier mountain bike at the Restore for $10. This is the time of year to buy bikes at thrift stores here as most people won't buy them in the winter and they have to store them until summer. I put slightly oversized homemade studded tires on it (2.35 rear and 2.125 front). The rear wheel is a little bent so I just opened the rear brakes up. They still work good, no use in doing extra work on it in the cold. I glued tape over the hole in the seat to prevent water from getting into the foam. I will use this as a back up winter bike. One can never have too many bicycles.

Last edited:
I'll be doin' this one, this year! Neat idea, I was wondering if cable or metal fittings might do better holding up? [with the same 4 spoke placing idea in mind]

-Jordan
I wonder if some small link brass chain wouldn't mar the wheel like a stainless or common steel chain or cable would. Or, some clear poly coated cable like they sell at petsmart... never tried it, it wouldn't ice up like rope does though. I don't live in a snow area anymore, so not needing to try it atm.

Around here, (Tacoma), winter tends to be 38 degrees, rainy and dark. It's 4:56 now and outside it's already dark. Around Christmas time it will be mostly dark by 4:30. You don't really need a special bike to ride in those conditions, but you do need lights, rain gear and fenders. Panniers or a trunk are handy too. They give you a place to put all that stuff when it's not raining and you're hot.

For the 3 days a year or so that it snows here I just use my mountain bike with knobby tires.

We've already had a fair amount of snow and cold (a little early this year). Last night it dropped ~1.5" of powder. After getting my shoveling done I headed out on my winter bike. Modern aluminum frame but cantilever style and I can get knobby snow tires on it.
I built it a few years ago and it's holding up well.
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/aluminum-winter-full-tilt-sunset.65550/

It was fun!
IMG_1216.jpg

Great thread!
Thanks for looking
Steve

A few questions for those who build their own studded tires:

1. How much do they end up costing you in total (tires, studs, etc.)?

2. Do you need to "break in" the studs on dry pavement before using them on ice (the way you would a commercial studded tire)?

3. What tread pattern do your tires have (knobby or slick)? How deep of snow can you usually get through without losing control?

My wife used the Schwalbe Marathon HS's to great success last year. I got a pair for myself now and will be breaking them in (for 25 miles) tomorrow, since it'll be a whopping 42 degrees and the roads should hopefully be cleared of snow and ice.

In any event, I know that the Marathon HS's worked wonders on the ice for my wife's bike last year, but she couldn't steer through slush for crap. Customer reviews lead me to believe that getting one of Schwalbe's studded tires with a knobbier tread pattern would solve that problem, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money (the Marathon HS's are already $70/tire, the knobby varities are around $100-120/tire).

I remember a conversation I had with a LBS employee last year; he strongly discouraged me from making homemade studded tires because they would end up costing me more money and they won't turn out as good. I wonder if he was factoring the cost of labor into there? I just don't see how homemade studded tires would run you over $120. As far as quality goes ... if it can get me through slush and it can grip the ice, that's all I ask for. If I have to redo the studs once every winter, so be it.

Back