Lets see your panniers/ touring bags

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Home made, or bought.

I want to make a set out of a few briefcase/ file cases or a pair of small computer case shells.

I don't want to copy anyone, I just want to see how others went about theirs.

The only thing I plan on buying would be a few nuts and bolts and the metal strips to attach to the rack.

I took a vintage, wood and cloth suitcase and glue it shut.

Then I took a saw and cut it in half the short way. I bolted it to an old rack and plan to make leather flaps for the top.

you have a really good idea.. i might havta copy it on one of my builds!!! here are two of my bags;
IMG00900.jpg
IMG00899.jpg
this one is on the "dirty rat" a inexpensive bell bag my buddie pinstriped,the main reason i added it was to cover the nexus gear seletcor.
IMG00901.jpg
IMG00902.jpg
and this one is on my classic i got thru e-bay!!!

Good stuff.

I planned on using a chicken broth or bean can can large enough to hold my keys, wallet, phone, a spare tube, and a few tools.

Our manual can opener cuts the lids off smooth, so they can be reattached easily. I planned on putting a few slits through the back of it to hold it on my handlebars with hose clamps. I would cut the top away some and add a small hinge and latch to make it into a trunk. I might cover it with leather or vinyl, I might leave it natural.

On my other bike I was going to add my rack and make some panniers out of something laying around. I'm not sure yet what, but chances are whatever I need is lying around here somewhere.

a long term project "bagger". cycle saddlebags i got at a fleamarket

Picture150-1.jpg

Picture151-1.jpg

what i've been doing lately with the little bike saddle bags. there's a bit of metal rod behind them to hold them in place and keep them from flopping into the tire/wheel

bikebagandbracket.jpg

Picture207.jpg

Picture187.jpg

my home 'puter's been down for a while so i have no new pics, but lately i've been keeping an eye out for interesting bags at the thrift store like laptop bags and hip bags and making a bracket for them on a few bikes.

A parmagian cheese jar (tube?) makes a great seat bag. It's about 4" in diameter and 7" long. I spray painted the top black and then took some black vinyl to cover it. Stitched it up around the tube and the end and put a couple of S hooks through the material to hook it to the seat.

Holds keys, tire levers a tube and or patch kit and some $ and you're set to go.

I have found that horse stores have a really wide variety of bags. They are often cheaper that cycling or motorcycle bags too.

tool bag made from a purse found in the Goodwill Store-
bag6.jpg

low98-1.jpg

and this is a pair of motorcycle saddlebags I got on Ebay but never used on my motorcycle...
dresser2.jpg

My friend Wayne took the old framework for the seat and covered it with leather. As an added touch, the Grateful Dead motif was added. I also wanted a tool bag to carry a few things I might need on the road...wrenches, screw drivers, pliers, lock...you get the idea. Wayne made the toolbag to match the seat. I like it alot!

9913323.jpg

I have two bikes I want to put bags on here. The first is a bit tough, since it has dual suspension. I picked up a seat post rack at Wal Mart. It's the best thing I found besides an Old Man Mountain rack. I plan on getting to the Army Navy Store to pick up a few bags. I will have to use support behind the bags, since they don't have anywhere to attach to except for the rack. I think it will look and work great.

On the other bike, I wanted to use old camera bags or laptop bags, but finding two identical ones might be a challenge. I thought about small file boxes, but they were clear and would probably shatter easily. I couldn't find any file bags wrapped in canvas like they used to sell.

No pics yet, but I finished my Army tool bags

9182.jpg

for this bike
gf.jpg

I had a little bit of help from my dad & wife. They came out really nice. The handles were removed, as they were no longer needed. The rack is a Wal Mart Schwinn one that mounts to the seat post (I'm going to repaint it in the spring, I'm thinking rubberized undercoating). We added some support behind the bags so they don't make contact with the tires.

This will be my rail trail bike. The only other thing I want to do is find a Brooks saddle for it.

I wanted an Old Man Mountain rack, but this seat post job will work just fine for my travels.

huffy_eldorado.jpg

The old gold monster strikes again! Although the pic doesn't show the baskets too well, does it?

GreatWhite00 said:
Is there a basket on each side?
Yup. If you take a close look, you can see that my helmet is actually in the basket on the far side of the bike.

Back