lets see those rupp rods! (and other minibikes)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just working through a rupp build. (i believe its a bansee)
wanted to see what ya got for rupp's and mini bikes.

so post those pic's

anybody know where to find tiny little white walls? (4.10x6")

2mhfur8.jpg

30u4krm.jpg

this will be my honda engine donor bike (i'll clean it up eventually, and give it a new motor)
it's a lot rougher than it looks (bent forks/frame etc)
24cxi4k.jpg

Re: lets see those rupp rods! (pic's added)

what about white wall tire paint? anybody have results worth talking about?

Those are very Cool. My dad has ridden motorcycles all his life (He's 70 and is in Sturgis this week). When I was a kid one of his friends had a cycle repair shop, was a Rupp dealer and would let me ride one behind the shop. I never owned a Rupp ,but because of that always thought they were very cool. You brought up some cool memories for me....thanks :mrgreen:

Here's a pic of one I bought at an auction, paid $130 for it

rupp1.jpg

Its a 1968 1/2 Rupp C-500, after talking with a few people with knowledge, the C-500 was a mid year bike and believed to be thrown together from factory surplus, it wasnt as fancy as the TT-500 but real close. It had the 5 HP Tecumseh, disk brake rear, also found out the bike was totally original and only missing the carburetor. I posted it on ebay figuring it would bring a couple hundred. I had to pull the auction after I started getting side offers like this... $500 for just the tank and chainguard. Another guy snatched up the frame for $200, motor went for $100

On a side note, my wife works at a car dealership, she took over my Mom's position when she retired.... My Mom had worked for them since 1969 when they also operated a Rupp dealership. I had a couple of Roadsters as a kid, plus every once in awhile I got to hang out at the Rupp place and get to ride all the cool toys!

I love to rebuild old mini bikes too. Here is a pic of me and a guy that worked for my dad standing next to a souped up 1970 Rupp Roadster.

rupp1.jpg

This bike had a HS40 Tecumseh with a Wiseco piston and camshaft and a Tillotson diaphram carb off of a McColluch chainsaw.
Since dad sold Rupps, I had several over the years. Had this 70 model and a 72 model Roadster 2. Also had an RMT80.
Several years ago I sold a couple of Roadsters and a bunch of Rupp NOS parts and service manuals etc.
to a guy that worked in the shop at Barbers Motorcycle Museum and I understand that both of them were restored and displayed
there at one time.

It's not a Rupp, but this was me in 1968 with my Lil Indian 5000 minibike.

memini.jpg

Here is the same bike that I plan on restoring in the near future.

mini2parts.jpg

My current motorized project.

lizzi.jpg

It's called a Mini Lizzi. It's got a 5hp B&S with a two speed transmission. A guy gave me this thing about 20yrs ago to get it out of his garage.
I had to have a gear that was broken in the transmission made and have it back to running. Slowly getting all the body work painted and put back in place.
Thanks!!!

Great stories and even better pic's! That gas powered car is off the hook! You'll have to keep us posted.
I'd love to find an old tescumseh motor for this little rupp, but right now it's just not in the cards. :)
I did however run out and purchase an import 6.5 hp(powerfist) honda clone and a new clutch from princess auto.
It's mainly black, but i'll probably doll it up alittle with chromed filters etc.

icyuod2 said:
what about white wall tire paint? anybody have results worth talking about?

Why not look for a different wheelset, I know there are some nice whitewalls available for vespa's and retro scooters
even for this Yamaha giggle a friend of mine build at his shop for a contast on a national radiostation;
2ryhrok.jpg

a wheelset like this would look nice on a rupp rod imho.

edited all of this post out, there was a double post, same as last one, pc is giving me trouble,
could not see it had posted last one.
(new(used)pc on the way).

i thought about going to a bigger size rim (8") but that would require cutting the frame (read fender tab)
i'm not sure i want to do that yet.

the other is in much rougher shape and has a lot more room for bigger tires. :)

well this build took a turn for the worst.
IMG_0756.jpg

i knew both shocks where broke, and one strut was bent real bad.

fixed the bend no problem.
so tried to find replacement springs today (different spring manufacturers here in town) couple retail stores also.
i can have a couple replacements made to the tune of $100. guess i'm gonna keep looking. lol

here's what the shock assembly looks like. (keep in mind, both springs are broken and should be approx 4 " long.)
IMG_0757.jpg

the forks are just press fit to the springs (top/bottom) and a small bolt holds them in place. (thats it, thats all that's everything! :( )
IMG_0758-2.jpg

when i removed the bolt from the second fork, the broken piece of spring, must have been jammed up,
cause it shot the top of the one shock assembly
into the handlebar (and jammed it tight) the bur from the bolt hole is preventing it from dropping down.

i tried knocking it out with some soft copper tubing to no avail.
looks like i'll have to purchase some ball bearings and push it out. :)

anybody got a better idea?

Thats friggin awesome kota. now i wanna chop up this little rupp. (lol)

i wanted to do a cafe rupp racer. But on such a little frame, the concept seemed painfull at the least.

kenny p has shown me the light! and i still have another rupp in the back yard. :)

Kota, i don't like you :wink: And did i happen't to mention, i don't like you.

Then again, perhaps its kenny p i don't like. :)

That is the coolest little rupp yet! (would only be cooler if it was a real nos bottle. :) )
29yio1i.jpg

I don't want a back yard full of these, but my rupp just seems ugly now. :)

A chop sure would fix a lot of my issues.
Shorten the forks and i can use the spring remnants i have. (won't cost me $100 for custom one off springs)
Cafe style bars will grant me access to removing the fork assembly stuck in the bar. (won't have to purchase $50 worth of ball bearings)
Not to mention the big ugly void above the rear tire would be gone. (happy happy joy joy!)

Don't get me wrong, mine wont be as long or low as kenny's, but it will be everybit as cool.
besides i love painting frames. :)

So i want to thank you kota, for putting me right back to square one. :wink:
making all that hard work a waste of time.
Got me think'n how i should be think'n and not how i thought i was think'n!
Blows my mind i was so worried about chopping the frame in the first place. :)

thx bud!

Goldstreet, thats a slick little ride.

Gotta ask, who uses it? you or your kids? :lol:

Well excuse me guys,I do believe i have a date with an angle grinder. :) (perhaps a sawsall :) )

Well I got it for my son, but of coarse he goes full boar down the alley, and then we get old lady's complaining about the dust, so I politely tell them well I guess he should go get into trouble like the rest of the kids in the nieghborhood,just frustrating !!! so he don't ride it as much as he could.

Man that sucks!, theres always somebody sucking the fun outta all the cool things to do as a kid.

Heck, in Toronto (couple hours away) they we're trying to outlaw tobogganing. (you know, sliding down a hill on that white stuff, we canadians call snow. :wink: )
One kid hurts himself and the rest suffer for it.

I'm lucky, We're right inside a decent sized city, but have the run of some huge abandoned parking lots right across the street.
Not to mention, i have some very cool/understanding neighbours, and there's only 3 houses on the block. (mine being one of them)

Big boy version 2.0 So glad i chopped it!
Not only do i think it makes the rupp look 100x cooler, but it makes it much easier for a 5'10" guy to ride.
once the pegs are moved to highway position, It'll be a perfect fit.

Also leaves lots of room for doubling 3 up and coming nepthews. Old enough to get a real kick outta this thing, but not quite old enough to be let loose on thier own. I imagen eventually they'll end up owning it, but for now they'll have to visit uncle leigh to ride it. :)

When i started cutting I had a cafe racer inmind, but after the first couple cuts, my dirrection was clear.
I think the grey one is better suited for a cafe racer anyhow. :)

33xbh4j.jpg

are we allowed to post pics of non rupp mini bikes? i dont have a clue what mine is i will post pics if i get the go ahead

Man that looks good!! Love the sloping top tube.
Did you take the side pull cover off or is that the stock location where the pull handle is?

icyuod2 said:
Kota, i don't like you :wink: And did i happen't to mention, i don't like you.

Then again, perhaps its kenny p i don't like. :)
I know you like to take things to the NEXT level..........I'm kinda bored lately and I need something NEW to watch. Your builds amuse the snot outa me. I've got my hankie, so get buildin! (If your not up to the challenge I can just go look at something kenny's building.)

The fact that you don't like ME, makes me feel warm all over....THANKS Bro! :lol:

Welcome back kenny.

Back