Lets See Those 26" BMX Styled Cruiser Builds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks 808..
Ok.. now I know where to go to get one.. First I need to get busy and finish the "Left Koast Kruiser" before I can start on another project.. That's going to be a while..

Thanks 808..
Ok.. now I know where to go to get one.. First I need to get busy and finish the "Left Koast Kruiser" before I can start on another project.. That's going to be a while..

Take your time; he'll make more.

I just wanna say, especially with the self-deprecation going on up-thread, that Paul makes an awesome frame. I got a cruiser from a "competitor" (if Genuine has any competitors, anyway), and while that other frame had awesome looking welds all around, the other details were totally freaked up beyond all recognition. Decals were put on crooked, and didn't stick right b/c the adhesive side was covered in blasting media. The seatpost didn't fit, b/c the seat-tube was never reamed, so after i fixed that, i still couldn't get the "original" seatpost in, b/c that was out-of-spec by a few tenths of a mm, so i ran a Worksman post. The other post won't fit any bike properly at, like 22.4mm, so I keep it around for light-duty home security. :crazy: The dropouts weren't parallel at all, and the spacing i guess averaged out to be 115mm or something. The top of the seat-tube wouldn't accept a 1" clamp without some filing. Yeah, i worked around it all, but it was a huge disappointment. Spent hundreds of dollars on a brand-new made in US frame, and it needed more prep work than a well-used ex-warehouse frame that you get from Chuckz for $60. Dude has apparently been welding BMX frames since before I was born, and it showed at each juncture, but overall, the frame sucked b/c he just didn't care about quality.

Now, by contrast, the Genuine Article 1 came in 100% perfect. Black powdercoat finish was perfect. Dropouts were perfectly straight, centered, parallel, and exactly 110mm. Headset, seatpost, BB, all perfectly in-spec, and made for a super-easy build-up. The decals came in a packet off the frame, so I could put them on myself after the full assembly and cleaning. Yeah, some of the welds look less "pro" than the ones on that other frame, but they look perfect from 10" away; you only see some minor flaws if you are right up on it, scrutinizing each joint. And, there's no doubt that the tubes are welded together for good. The overall feel of the frame is that it is bombproof, as in, drop a live grenade in the BB shell, and i bet the Genuine Article One would survive the blast.

From all the Red Menace talk, it seems like maybe GBP isn't making a whole lot of profit right now, but that doesn't surprise me much, as I think it's more pride and a love for bikes that keeps the outfit going. Look around the forums (and not just this one), and you can see that these GBP products are made between regular semi-organized rides and complicated bike races/events. If it's a side project, well, then the main event is riding, and as a rider, i thoroughly respect that. That's awesome. That the frames and stems and all look so good and are of high-quality, well, that's even better.

(Just, Paul, please knurl your handlebars at the clamp, K?)

Well, from that pic, the frame looks hott. How long are the seat-tube and top-tube? As for "sub-par" TIG skills, i dunno, man.... my Article 1 has welds that ain't stack-of-dime perfect, but the penetration is good, and they're definitely par or better. :grin: Satisfied customer, right here...

What kinda drop outs are on the "Double Trouble"?

Well Jim welded your frame, not me. I'm more of the "face" and do all the other stuff for GBP. My TIG is improving but I have a loooong way to go before they are good. Seat tube is 18 from center of bb to top and top tube is 22 inches I think, the dropouts are Surly track drop outs. The first one I made was too quick steering for my liking this one is better.

Thanks for the good vibes, we do get hated on quite a bit on the webs but I guess one should not be surprised right?

GBP is just a hobby that pays for it's self sort of, we decided to do an overseas run to have something cheaper for people to get that can't afford our other offerings. If it works out we'll have some fun money so we can do other things that one simply can not afford to do in the USA. We'd like it grow and eventually become a profitable business so we can focus on it. I've been running a successful bike shop for over a decade now so I won't walk away from that unless we're doing super awesome. And true, we're really in it for the love. :). Neither Jim or I really care if we "make it" or not cause we had a good time doing it regardless.

Last edited:
Well Jim welded your frame, not me. I'm more of the "face" and do all the other stuff for GBP. My TIG is improving but I have a loooong way to go before they are good. Seat tube is 18 from center of bb to top and top tube is 22 inches I think, the dropouts are Surly track drop outs. The first one I made was too quick steering for my liking this one is better.

Thanks for the good vibes, we do get hated on quite a bit on the webs but I guess one should not be surprised right?

GBP is just a hobby that pays for it's self sort of, we decided to do an overseas run to have something cheaper for people to get that can't afford our other offerings. If it works out we'll have some fun money so we can do other things that one simply can not afford to do in the USA. We'd like it grow and eventually become a profitable business so we can focus on it. I've been running a successful bike shop for over a decade now so I won't walk away from that unless we're doing super awesome. And true, we're really in it for the love. :). Neither Jim or I really care if we "make it" or not cause we had a good time doing it regardless.
How much do these frames cost? And how long does it normally take to get one? Thanks for your help, Dave.

I would also like to know how much the frames are and turn around time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Jim welded your frame, not me. I'm more of the "face" and do all the other stuff for GBP.
Oh, well never mind then. You suck. :crazy: j/k

Yeah, it seems like the satisfied customers keep quiet about their opinions, whereas the dissatisfied ones post about it all over the boards. On top of that, you have the guys who aren't even customers, but who type all day about how a certain item probably sucks, even if they've never laid hands on one. That's kinda why I wrote all that good stuff about your products up there; I wanted to try to offset the haters with some props, and I feel like I'm qualified to do so, being that I own one of the things.

. And true, we're really in it for the love. :). Neither Jim or I really care if we "make it" or not cause we had a good time doing it regardless.

That's really what it's all about, right? And running a successful bike shop ain't easy; that's definitely something to be proud of. Seems like a lot of the shops by me have bitten the dust, and the worst ones seem like they're doing the best these days-- you know, the high-end only douche-traps that either gouge or laugh the typical customer out of the store. So, I hope GBP does well for ya, but I hope you can keep that shop up, too.... not enough good shops left on Earth.

How much do these frames cost? And how long does it normally take to get one? Thanks for your help, Dave.
I would also like to know how much the frames are and turn around time...
Pricing:
http://www.genuinebicycleproducts.com/frames.html
The inventory page says: "When things run out expect a 2-6 month turn around. " Plus, they got a few frames in-stock right now...

16438899391_74f8b539f9_c.jpg

It's our last Article One cruiser made here by us for a while until Jim's had heals so he can weld again. Hopefully we'll be back into the swing of things soon.

16243897897_b55bcda40c_c.jpg

I've been making these to practice my TIG welding. I give the frames away at my coaster brake challenge as a raffle prize. Done 3 so far.

I'm just learning by doing, there is improvement. My TIG welds look like nice MIG welds now, they need to be smaller so over time and lots of doing I'll get it. I'm using the TIG for everything now.

I'm also doing up this cyclepro:

904348d1403947549t-cruiser-thread-cyclepro.jpg

Took a couple months to get the seatpost out...
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

16340550891_39bd0af124_z.jpg

16156127389_90720dce6e_z.jpg

16167715288_b613c586d7_z.jpg

16186380908_8154c34e0c_z.jpg

Donor bike for new dropouts....

16372280111_d27f2482a9_z.jpg

16372281851_81c85bb533_z.jpg

16372281631_d5dbd57b07_z.jpg

15751575634_6605a3a926_z.jpg

Yeah, I been following your CyclePro build over on the Strandie thread at the "other" site; looking good! You'll get where you want to be, soon enough....

I think I'm gonna end up biting the bullet, spending the $$$, and taking a class. I did some arc welding in high school, but that was a loooooooooong time ago, and a whole different animal compared to TIG. I figure, I ain't getting any younger--- I gotta do this soon.

Ha.... that's an awesome offer! Thanks, James.... We ain't that far, but we ain't that close, either. They got some programs at the Community College I've been looking at...

Back