Lepper Leather Seat Redo

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
South Carolina - smiling faces, beautiful places
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During buildoff 7, I had an old Lepper seat that the leather was cracked and broke into. I had never worked with leather before so I did some internet research and it seemed pretty straight forward.

Get a suitable size piece of leather off ebay (almost 1/4" thick). You need to do some research as to how leather is measured to understand what you're buying.

Get an old drywall bucket filled with slightly warm water. Hot water will make the leather harder and more brittle. Soak the leather in the water until shortly after no more bubbles are coming out of the leather.

I had duct taped my old seat together and filled the missing areas with clay. Next I greased it with vasoline and laid fiberglass cloth with resin to create a new one piece seat for molding the leather. This step can be modidied anyway you like with any material to get a copy of the seat.
joelsbeachbirthday026.jpg

Wrap the wet leather over the seat mold and gently work it to the shape you want. Some areas are a tighter contour and require some taping to hold the form until dried.
joelsbeachbirthday025.jpg
joelsbeachbirthday027.jpg

This is where your seat form needs to be kind of accurate. You mark the leather for rough cutting and split rivet placement.
Cutting the thick leather was hard (and dangerous) so be careful. I cut close to the final shape before the leather dried with a surgical knife that I already had (got it from musicmedic.com). Use the old split rivets to secure the drying leather (holes for the rivets can be drilled in the leather).
Let the leather dry for a day or so and then you can do any additional hole drilling or final trimming.
joelsbeachbirthday029.jpg

You should now have a pretty good seat replacement.
redoseat6003.jpg

I got some new split rivets because mine were shot (ebay again)
The thing that I want to get across is that it is not that hard and can save an old seat from the trash.

I was glad to share the information. I had hunted for somebody to redo the seat and found no one and as they say "necessity is the mother of invention". It cost me a little over 20 bucks...way cheaper than a new seat and in the case of Lepper seats, saved an out of production vintage seat from the scrap pile.

That really turned out great!

Back