LBS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to a new LBS in the next town over. "TREK" shop. Tried to get a shorter stem bolt then the one I already had, I say " Hey I was hoping you guys could help me out and trade me for a shorter stem bolt." He says, " No, we dont trade, but, I think we have some for sale." as he walks off. He looks comes back to me and says, "we have the whole kit for $4.99" I say , "I dont have $4.99, look at this one it's fine." He says "No, we dont trade for used parts," I say "this is brand new, look at it!!!"

Eh, kind of a lame story. Just thought it was kind of funny. Dont tell me that a bike shop doesnt have boxes of old parts just collecting dust? I wouldnt have even gone in there, but, it was on my way to somewhere else... Guess I wont be going in there, anymore... Anyone else have any lame stories...?

I have a bike shop just a minute down the road, but never go anymore. They don't seem to care about you unless you are purchasing something. The basement is full of old bikes including a stingray and a girls monark, but he won't part with them because they're for needy kids. My buddy offered to trade 3 or 4 NEW department store bikes for one old cruiser, he won't budge! 4 happy kids are better than 1, right?

The local trek dealer is similar, I'd be surprised if they have anything that's more than a year or two old. A pretty showroom, but you'll never discover a vintage gem in the back room.

i hate to sound like a ..... but in my experience most bike shop owners are total jerks. especially fancy trek shops. If you aren't buying some carbon this kevlar titanium that yuppie bike that costs more than any car i have owned, they treat you like something that stuck to their shoe.

Maybe the bike shop owners can correct me but, it seems that the only way they can survive now days is by selling highend bikes. The big chain stores buy in such volume that a small shop can't compete price wise on "family" bikes. I'm sure there are certain regions where they are still able to exist on lower priced bikes. The shop I worked for would order together with two other shops so they could get their order volume up and get a cheaper price from the manufacture. I've been out of the business for a long time so I may be full of hot air! :)

Back