Lawn Art Shmawn Art

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or alternately... "Who stole all my rust?"

I'm really bad about taking progress pictures (getting better about that on my next build though) so all I have for this one are some before/after shots. This is an old Firestone Cruiser that was originally intended to be a decoration in one of my mother's flower beds, but I recently built up an old JC Higgins for my Dad and she was pining for a bike of her own. So out came the WD-40 and pipe wrenches (and the hot wrench at one point.) I tried to save as much of it as I could but the wheels were beyond salvaging, so was the headset, crankset, handlebars and saddle. It had a dog-leg crank on it that I really wanted to salvage but at some point someone utterly destroyed the threads for the right side pedal and ended up brazing it in there permanently.

What parts I couldn't salvage I scavenged off an old Hawthorn I found at a yard sale for $30. It willingly donated it's wheelset, crankset, headset, handlebars, chain, and saddle to bring the old cruiser back to life. The only new parts on the bike are the tires, tubes, and grips. The seat was re-upholstered with some vinyl I found in the remaindered bin at a local sewing and crafts store, but I couldn't find any foam that was the density I wanted so I ended up using some firm grout sponges for padding and it didn't turn out very well. I have plenty of extra vinyl so I'll probably redo it as soon as I can find some better foam. She was in a bit of a rush to have her bike done at this point so after stripping it down I ended up foregoing the bondo or finding someone to do a real paint job and just pounded out the dents as best I could, and did all the paint with spray cans.

Anyway, I've still got a few finishing touches to do but I had the itch to take some photos this evening so here we go...

The "BEFORE"

firestone_before_01.jpg

firestone_before_02.jpg

The "AFTER"

firestone_after_02.jpg

firestone_after_04.jpg

firestone_after_01.jpg

firestone_after_05.jpg

firestone_after_03.jpg

Awesome! It feels good to save old bikes from the decaying ruins of creative neglect. I am really bad at taking progress pictures too. I have a similar story with my Excelsior as soon as I take some after pics I will post the before and afters here. Hopefully we can get this thread rolling!

Hey as far as the seat foam goes I found that the foam that goes under carpet works really well and its cheap and just the right density. You can get it at any carpet outlet or flooring place. I got a 2'x9' roll for $4.

Cyclus Nocturn said:
Hey as far as the seat foam goes I found that the foam that goes under carpet works really well and its cheap and just the right density. You can get it at any carpet outlet or flooring place. I got a 2'x9' roll for $4.

You know, I was standing in home depot eyeing the carpet padding just the other day. Heck, I've probably got some rolled up in a corner somewhere, I'll have to give it a try.

FatboyLovesHills said:
mate awesome job, that look sweet!

Thanks Fatboy!

dos cruiser said:
Man that looks great nice work your mom must be proud
Thanks! I wasn't exactly sure how much it would get used to be honest. She hadn't ridden a bicycle in a long long time and I half suspected she'd forgotten how hard those old single speeds are to pedal, but the same day I gave it to her she rode it around to visit all her neighbors and show it off and has taken it on a few 3-4 mile rides since then so I think she's digging it. :mrgreen:

tatman said:
WOW! how much time you got in to that one...??

Um, I pulled it out of the junk pile about 3 months ago, but after breaking it all down, I didn't really do anything with it until I found the parts I needed, after that I think I had it finished in about 3 weeks of working on it evenings/nights. I think 75% of that time was spent removing rust and paint, which has really got me thinking about making a new friend, preferably one who owns a really nice media blasting cabinet. :wink:

Back