Last buy for the winter!!!!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
boardtracker003.jpg

boardtracker002.jpg

boardtracker001.jpg

Sensor, I can see the blue under the orange where it has chipped away and some pin striping. 8) Any secrets for taking the rattle can paint off?

Over on theCABE, I was told that as long as no prep work was done before the rattle can was applied, that a brillo (?) pad or a rough (but not so rough that it will scratch the original paint) sponge and forumla 409 cleaner will remove the rattle can paint without damagaing the factory paint. From what I've heard it's a LOT of work but it looks like this is definitely worth the effort. Good Luck! 8)

I was also told to stray from using steel wool. They say it deposits tiny metal fragments into the paint whcih will rust later and make the paint look bad.

sensor said:
skoda had a dx that was also rattle canned and he got it off(cant remember with what though :? ) fairly well....maybe he'll chime in....

It turns out that bikebum lives like a mile away from me!

I used aircraft stripper for most of my DX's unearthing from the nasty orange puke...er...paint...it was an old rattle can job that had really hardened. Only toward the end of the process did I discover that $1 a can Oven Cleaner worked better than the $8 a can stripper.

Put it on, let the paint bubble up for a minute or two, then scrape, wipe or ideally rinse it with a power washer. Power washer works wonders. Wood popsicle sticks or paint stirrers work great as scrapers.

You have to let the stuff that is willing to come off first come off, then go back and sand or peel with a razor blade the stuff that won't. It's worth it if you like original paint. My DX is a pretty big mess underneath, but it was still worth it.

SchwinnDX.jpg

1208projects004.jpg

Ok I gotta ask, how big are the curbs by you? Either they are huge or that guy sitting in the street is tiny! lol

skoda said:
It turns out that bikebum lives like a mile away from me!

Yep, I for see bike with a basket to that pretty alright liquor store we live by, then I think that I can actually ride a bike a mile :shock:

i think its tradition to say every year about this time, " ok, last buy of the winter." unfortunatly, it is always backed up with the famous, "my first buy of the spring.",and ongoing from there. i'll find a reason all 365. :D

Can you people say sandblaster???? and then stencil and new paint. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Uncle Stretch said:
Can you people say sandblaster???? and then stencil and new paint. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blashphemy. I'd rather ride the worst looking original paint ever than the best re-paint. Re-paints are nauseating.

Back