Laid back seat post problems?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking for good ways to gain a little extra room in the cockpit of my new Felt MP. I just ordered a 1" laid back seat post with support from Cycles US. After looking at some reviews of similar posts on Amazon dot com, I have seen some bigger guys have had issues with the posts bending where the post is inserted into the frame. Has anybody out there ever used the Cycles US post I am talking about? Any comments bad or good? I am hoping that It will work for me. I am 6'4" and about 210. This is the post I ordered: http://www.choppersus.com/store/product/779/Layback-Seat-Post-w-Support-1"/

Would love to hear people thoughts-- or even other ideas or suggestions too. Thanks.

I have the 1" Sunlight brand layback inserted all the way down to the cross brace portion. It added enough cockpit room and has not bent,but I am not as tall as you. Now that you have bought it,and most likely will raise it more,look to add something inside.Broom handles or hardwood dowels have been used,but usually fail.Maybe a piece of re-bar or something like it inside the lower section below the bend.Actually tubing is stronger than solid against bending,but the wall thickness has to be enough.

FunkyStickman said:
I had the 1" layback post from them, I weigh 175 and I bent it, not even doing anything crazy. Either needs bracing or filling. Look for something more stout.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

I am sorry to hear of troubles with one of my seat posts. Did you buy it from me thru here or another site? You are always welcome to PM me and I will do all that I can to make it right. I have used all of my posts except the 5/8 without any problems. I am 230 lbs and put alot of these posts on motorized bicycles. I am always open to improvement suggestions or custom ideas.

Reading this post, I started thinking. 230lbs bouncing around on a bike must really mean that the laid back seat post has 320-400 lbs of weight on it for a second or two when you are bouncing or hit a good bump. Only way in my mind would be solid or better yet a gusset welded in the back bend area. Another question is How far back is the bend? A Bannana seat has to have a support in the rear that comes up from the rear axle. Honestly most of these parts are made with cheapest material that will do the job. Even though these bikes look Meaty, They only look that way and are not made for the Big Boy Club.
Now you have me thinking of other things like the cheap nylon bearings that are in the newer bikes. When I am at a swap I see 300+ guys riding bikes around and the tires look like they are 1/2 flat.
I am 6' and not hear 176, I consider myself on the edge of needing Heavy Duty Bike Parts.
Not meant to offend anyone, Just thinking outloud here.

Thanks to everyone for your input. Firstly I want to clarify to Mr. Slowriderz that I do not believe anybody has reported any problems your solid seat posts. The ones in question are from Cycles US. Furthermore, if I had seen Slowriderz seat posts earlier I may have gone that route. Although I am a bit concerned about adding a bunch more weight to a bike that already is a tank. That said, since I have already purchased the Cycles US post I will probably try to make it work. Going off of Clamdigger's suggestion I will probably insert something into the tube to try to reinforce it. I'll see if I can find some metal rod or tube that will fit into the seatpost tube. I have even considered flat stock inserted in-line with the bike frame as a stiffener.

Slowriderz posts look sweet though so if this whole experiment fails I'll probably get one of those and call it a day.

Regards,

I got a long grade 8 bolt from the random bolt drawer that came with the house that just barely fit inside the seat post tube, and pounded it in with a BFH before cutting off the bolt head. A good hardware store might have bolts this big, but expect one to be a couple bucks.

slowriderz said:
FunkyStickman said:
I had the 1" layback post from them, I weigh 175 and I bent it, not even doing anything crazy. Either needs bracing or filling. Look for something more stout.

I am sorry to hear of troubles with one of my seat posts. Did you buy it from me thru here or another site? You are always welcome to PM me and I will do all that I can to make it right. I have used all of my posts except the 5/8 without any problems. I am 230 lbs and put alot of these posts on motorized bicycles. I am always open to improvement suggestions or custom ideas.

I think he may be refering to the link in the original poster's message...just a guess.

My misunderstanding, I saw the post refering to my link then the next post was about a post failure. No biggy. Just wanted to make sure people that have bought my items were happy. I just read it wrong. I tend to do that before my second cup of coffee!

Sorry, I should have clarified, it was a standard hollow post I got from CyclesUS, and it wasn't their fault... the post was already leaning way back, and the layback bent right at the clamp. I was using a shim, which is yet another reason... The frame was designed to use a 31.8, not a 25.4

On a regular frame with normal seat tube angles, inserted most of the way with no reducer, a hollow post would probably be okay. For me, I already had 3 strikes!

Just looking around at McMaster dot com and local hardware store options, it looks like 1/2" plumbing pipe just might sleeve right into the Cycles US seat post. 1/2" pipe actually has an o.d. of .840" and the i.d. of the seatpost tube is about .859" so it might be good enough. I am planning on slathering up the pipe with JB Weld and shoving it into the seatpost tube. Hoping this will give me the strength I need.

For the record, it would have been cheaper and less work to just buy a solid post from Slowriderz. :roll: Oh well, hind sight is 20/20.

On a different note I added a stem riser that I got from amazon and it has already drastically improved the comfort of this bike just having the bars be a couple inches higher.

Regards,

Back