Kustom Coaster III (Completed)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Kustom Coaster III

MazdaFlyer said:
Most people seem to be doing tanks, so under the shade trees here I'm doing faux doors. More to come...later

Looks more like a two door to me!! :p

Laminated some wood today for interior blocking. Table saw out of commission. Needed a 1" thick piece for seat tube and a 1-1/4" thick piece for top tube and cantilever tube area. Will need to cut to top panel profile.
aqaha8u5.jpg
emyqe7y5.jpg
4ydady4u.jpg

Waiting to mount handles until I get both tires mounted to get angle correct. Do have an idea for operable door but I think they will be static.

Ed: You have some great ideas going on here! May have to steal some of them. :lol: :mrgreen:

pick said:
Ed: You have some great ideas going on here! May have to steal some of them. :lol: :mrgreen:
Thanks! Steal them if you want, just give me credit when you win another trophy or plaque.
Inspiration for the door panels come from a number of kustom and rat rods. Here are a couple.
uju6atyt.jpg
5yperuhe.jpg
dy4apa7u.jpg

A little more progress after mounting back tire twice. Mounted back tire and put 50 psi in it. I was putting the wheel on frame when the tube blew. A real surprise. Went and got another tube. Second attempt went fine.
Anyway a few shots of faux door area progress.
9ysy9y5u.jpg
dutujaju.jpg
egugazub.jpg
ypuba8et.jpg
7yta9ymy.jpg

Thinking finish frame sanding, smooth up panel edges, prime frame and panels, light sanding and paint. With 26 x 3.50 tubes tires grew to around 2.75" on the 1.5" wide rims.
Thanks for looking.

nice dude very nice!!

Troy

Funkme said:
Lovin the panels,fantastic idea....

+1

Hey a big thanks to the last 3 replies.
Tore down the mockup, smoothed up panel edges, sanded and cleaned them. Shot a coat of primer on.
e2eramav.jpg
nazepamu.jpg
desaby2a.jpg

Next I need to finish up prepping frame for paint.

Shot the door panels and cantilever filler with R/O Aged Copper. Before I got them hung up to dry in garage a bird soiled one. Need to wet sand a bit and lay down another coat anyway.
ba2ebysy.jpg
y6a8ebup.jpg

I like your way of thinking outside the box
door panels instead of a tank "brilliant"

I definitely think you should go with retro business graphic on the door panels
might i suggest for the graphic a painting of a Dyno fireball tire with wheel set at 3/4 view with the name Burning Rubber BikeCo
(that way you still get the flames in the design and a nod to the bicycle manufacture)

Also i think you should put Plexiglas in the tank area to mimic a window for the door
(you could fill it 1/2 way to look like a rolled down window)

You going to put a bump strip down the door to act as a body line and break up the flat?

yoothgeye said:
You going to put a bump strip down the door to act as a body line and break up the flat?
Not sure on that one, probably not with the door graphics. Great thought otherwise.

MONARKofSoCal said:
I like your way of thinking outside the box
door panels instead of a tank "brilliant"

I definitely think you should go with retro business graphic on the door panels
might i suggest for the graphic a painting of a Dyno fireball tire with wheel set at 3/4 view with the name Burning Rubber BikeCo
(that way you still get the flames in the design and a nod to the bicycle manufacture)

Also i think you should put Plexiglas in the tank area to mimic a window for the door
(you could fill it 1/2 way to look like a rolled down window)
Interesting door graphic idea. I had a bike with the flamed tires but I sold it a while back. I had given some previous thought to the glass idea, was thinking two but one would be easier to deal with. Thanks for the input MonarkofSoCal.

Kustom Coaster III

Frame now in paint, first coat anyway. Did a sanding of primer, shot primer again. Did a wet sanding with 400 grit. Used the Flat Soft Iron.
hegaja7u.jpg
behyqe4a.jpg
aqeqareg.jpg

Probably a wet sanding in order after checking dry paint results and then another finish coat. Door panels may end up the same color depending on final graphics.

A few things put together precariously loose for effect. New seat post idea, think it needs paint. Either copper or to match frame. May have to adjust truss to clear wider tires.
aqenu5uv.jpg
6u6u4ebu.jpg
qa5ypazy.jpg
du6y9yju.jpg

love the paint on the frame looks dark in your last pic how dose it look in sunlight?

Troy

jats said:
love the paint on the frame looks dark in your last pic how dose it look in sunlight?

Troy
The paint "Flat Soft Iron" name is a little misleading. HD's display said it is a new color. When dry it has a low sheen like an eggshell or satin finish. It also includes some metallic qualities. It has a raw steel look somewhere between a silver and a light charcoal hue. The color is probably between that of CRS and HRS. I painted the seat post as shown below.
bu2amy5y.jpg
asa3y9a2.jpg

May look a bit black in photos but far from it. Thinking about using one of the beefy 3/8 x 1/2 BMX chains to go with the fat tires.

Latest posts

Back