Krusty Kargo - Update August 1 - Finished!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Krusty Kargo - Update May 29 - Roller!!

Thanks to the Cortisone and Ibuprofen, I've had a good couple of days. My wheels are done and tires mounted, so it's time for a first roller mock-up. I'm real happy with how it looks :D .
I wasn't happy with the the original repair (too rusty), so had to cut the frame and make internal sleeves.
Naturally I couldn't find the right size pipe/tube, so I had to machine larger diameter pipe down to fit. I'm going to weld these in then weld the join, grind/file smooth, and slide the external sleeves over the repair and braze them and a new gusset in. I want to ride this bike regularly, so need it to be structurally sound, and most of the repair will be hidden when the crate goes on.

IMGA0714.jpg

IMGA0720.jpg

IMGA0715.jpg

The semi finished repair.
IMGA0717.jpg

Re: Krusty Kargo - Update June 1

From the roller mock-up, I worked out the front axle width and finished it off today. I also had to machine a couple of bushes to correctly fit the new stub axles (high tensile bolts) into the original flanges..........I'm lucky to have access to a full machine shop at work.

Original axle ends welded into the new box tubing
IMGA0721.jpg

Bushes made for stub axles
IMGA0724.jpg

Re: Krusty Kargo - Update June 1

No work done on this bike for the past 3 weeks or so as it's been a very traumatic time for my family. My Mother-in-law had a stroke and sadly, passed away a week later, so playing with bikes has been low on the list of priorities, and will for a while.
I still hope to finish this before the end of the build-off, but it will probably not have a lot of the extras I had planned.
I did buy a 59 Cadillac style tail light for it on the week-end, and modified it today. I knew it would look too big when I bought it, but had a good look over it, and decided it was an easy mod. I didn't take any before or during pics, so I'll just post the after ones with a rundown of the process. I'm real happy with how it turned out.

Pic I found of a repop tail light
Taillight.jpg

Cut the lens on a bench saw
IMGA0738.jpg

Lens in backing plate
IMGA0742.jpg

Bent the bezel by holding on an angle, putting a lot of pressure on it and rolling on a timber bench. Did this 11 or 12 times to get it just right.
IMGA0741-1.jpg

Finished bezel
IMGA0740.jpg

Finished light
IMGA0743.jpg

IMGA0744.jpg

Re: Krusty Kargo - Update June 21

awesome! i think i might try that one! but sorry to hear for your loss man. :cry:

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.
I saw something on a movie that I thought you might get a kick out of. I know it's not the same thing but I thought it was hilarious.
kdmyc5.jpg

v3dtdu.jpg

5yrjtt.jpg

Thanks for kind thoughts.

I finally got the frame repair finished. All our Oxy-Acetylene sets at work are dismantled while our new workshop is being built, and I didn't really want to borrow a set to use, so I bought a BernzOmatic MAPP gas set.
I did do a bit of research first, and it worked a treat. I silversolded (silver alloy brazing) the sleeves and brace, but also brazed a couple of pieces of steel tube together to see if it would produce enough heat for brazing.....it does :) .

Also took a pic of the light I'm going to use. It will be removable and stored in the kargo box during the daylight hours. A small 12v battery will be fitted in the box and used to power the light and horn.

MAPP Torch
IMGA0756.jpg

External sleeves
IMGA0745.jpg

Brace
IMGA0746.jpg

Brace silversolded in. Still have to do some filing and sanding to clean up
IMGA0747.jpg

IMGA0748.jpg

Head/Spotlight. Will be movable when fitted for night time breakdown callouts :wink: . It'll be painted flat black.
IMGA0749.jpg

IMGA0750.jpg

Re: Krusty Kargo - Update June 26

Yep, it's pretty big. It'll be a combination headlight, searchlight, and worklight.

Painted the frame today. Will post pics tomorrow (ran out of daylight). I used Wattyl Killrust Epoxy Enamel.......this paint is real good, but it does take a couple of hours to dry. I just gave the frame a good wipe over with Prepsol and painted over the patina and rough stuff (only sanded the repair areas). Gotta keep it krusty, or I'll have to find a new name for it :wink: . Came out just how I wanted it.

IMGA0755.jpg

Valve caps I found at a car show last weekend
IMGA0753.jpg

Re: Krusty Kargo - Update June 27

Good to hear the Kill Rust is worth while.

Have you tried the White Knight Rust Guard? It's my favourite spray so far. Haven't gotten a hold of the Wattyl in an aerosol before.

Steer clear of the Dulux sprays, they made them Low VOC to stop "concentration and inhalation" but it means the paint doesn't flow at all on the surface.

I'm thinking about just getting a spray gun, 'cause I work in the paint department at bunnings I can tint up a whole pile of colours, just not into aerosol cans.

Re: Krusty Kargo - Update June 27

I finally got round to taking some more pics today. We've been at the beach for a few days, so the frame got a bit more time to cure before I started putting it together.
It does look very black at the moment, but I think the lights and timber box will give it enough contrast. Gotta start on the box now :) .

Saddle
IMGA0759.jpg

Sealed BB and Shimano cranks. 39 tooth chainring and 19 tooth rear cog (screw on).
IMGA0764.jpg

Paint it Black !!!
IMGA0760.jpg

IMGA0761.jpg

IMGA0762.jpg

Latest posts

Back