Kristi's skip-link Higgins (finished!! 6months later?!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's a barn find that was given to me by my chief at work
actually, when i started to dig around on the internet to see how old it might be, i ended up here 8)
and i've been here ever since :mrgreen:
here's how i got the bike. covered in rust and dust....... like that's a bad thing :wink:
Bikes001.jpg

i got the bike all apart (with the help of a bottle of WD40)
there are just a few problems with the old girl.......
most of the spokes in the wheels are almost rusted though (so i will re-lace them with new spokes)
it's gonna need a new seat and grips
and the tires and tubes are wasted
oh.... and the fork tube might be bent :lol:
i still don't know how the fork could take this damage and the front wheel not be replaced?
100_1995.jpg

doesn't look like anyone has ever put batteries in the horn
and a family of mud bees were calling it home (probably while it hung in the barn)
100_1993.jpg

100_1994.jpg

here's the exploded view :lol:
time to start cleaning and putting it back together..............
100_1996.jpg

100_1992.jpg

Re: Kristi's skip-link Higgins

The last seat I redid looked like that. Get a chordless drill, a wirewheels and knock that rust off. Hit it up with some paint and pick up a can of 3m spray adhesive. It's super easy. Cool find though.

that fork is just amazing that bent and the rest is still good. as chick's bikes go that is a super cool one i hope your going to leave it mostly stock

karfer67 said:
that fork is just amazing that bent and the rest is still good. as chick's bikes go that is a super cool one i hope your going to leave it mostly stock

the fork does puzzle me.......... :?

the only new items this bike will get are: grips, tubes, tires...... and i don't think i can save the spokes :cry: so they'll be replaced
kuttnhack & myself have an idea of how to save the saddle too

so, it is more of a salvage than a build, but i want it to look as stock as possible while my wife cruises the lake 8)

Hey, you been sleepin of bustin buns at work? No updates, no pics of your new score skip tooth. We are all waiting for your next move!

nearly 6 1/2 months later....... :roll: moto season has been in full swing around here, but I made a visit to Mike S. @ Vintage Bicycle Supply for an old seat pan, some spokes and a sweet pair of skinny bricks :mrgreen:
so, a can of clear, and a little bit of time, and she's rideable again!
washed the entire bike with soapy water and a scotch-brite pad.
re-packed all the bearings, and fixed the front fork.
cleared all the parts to help bring out the color.
my main man Flash cleaned the pedals for me....
100_2051.jpg

100_2052.jpg

used a grinder to remove the old bolts from the seat, and reused the spring chassis.
went to a much larger pan. welded in the old holes, and wire wheeled the whole thing.
re-drilled the new pan and used some old brass toilet hardware (who saves that stuff?!) :wink:
my wife says it's really comfortable!
probably my favorite part of the bike!!!! 8)
100_2053.jpg

100_2054.jpg

100_2055.jpg

100_2056.jpg

well, she's done! I really dig this old bike......
I keep going out to the shop to stare at it.......
thanks for looking guys! It's time for this old gal to get out to some bike shows.
100_2061.jpg

100_2058.jpg

100_2059.jpg

100_2057.jpg

looks great and 6 months isnt that long(i think ive got some coming up on 2 years now :lol: )
might wanna give the girl some padding though or she might not like yo too much after the first long ride!

that's a tough one.....
i like that seat too much to cover it. maybe some fresh painted lines are in order?
my next build will be another bike for the wife 8) a nice custom job with a great seat on it!

Back