Krate repop's

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey guys,

Being in Canada I dont think these made it up here... :|

Im curious as to what they sold for in stores, where they were sold and how much there worth now? anyone got one they want to sell? I know there not greatest bikes but...

Thanks Ty

sold at bike shops, i dont know the price on the earlier ones (apple,orange,grape) but the pea picker and lemon peeler were priced @ $399 around here, i bought a couple gry ghost 5 speeds for $210 out the door about a year after they came out.

These?
sting2.jpg

Tychevelle said:
Yeah exactly.

These were called Black Friday Krates (BFKs) because they were offered the Friday after Thanksgiving on "Black Friday" the original price was under $70, pretty cheap, but some are selling for hundreds in some markets. They originally sold in Wal-mart stores, and once they put them on clearance some people got them REALLY cheap. I can't sell this one for $150 locally, and since I'm not willing to ship I'll keep riding it.

It's a really decent bike, I'm about 200 pounds and 5' 10" and I'm very comfortable on it, except for the banana seat, but some people like those seats (preference I guess).

Mine was found in a ditch thrown out for the garbage, a friend found it and gave it to me. It had surface rust and a flat front tire and loose stem. I removed all the rust, put in a tube, and have ridden it alot.

Awesome thanks for all the info. Ya I read your post about ur cl adds not working out. Are you sure you don't want to ship It?? Take the bars front tire and fender off and way ya go Ill buy it off ya I got a mailbox in washington to ship it to.

I have a nice BFK. Id say they are worth maybe 200 at best. The older repros are actually expensive, ive seen them as high as 500. I think this is a little high, you could probably get a beat up original for that. Although the nice thing about repros are they are very rideable, and you dont feel as bad wheelying and skidding with them, and If they do get scratched it is not as heartbreaking.

I got the green one before Xmas that year for something like $79. When I went back a few days after Xmas, they were blowing out what they had left for something like $39. I couldn't resist... I got the blue and the black too. This is what I did with them:

3rays04a.JPG

3rays03a.JPG

3rays05a.JPG

I have since painted the purple forks black, and changed the bars on the blue one. Still have to paint the forks on the blue one... gonna be impossible to match, so I might paint them silver to match the script and put blue fork darts on the way some of the late '70s ones were. I know, I know, they're not Schwinn forks...

I had NO IDEA these things would ever sell for what they do on Fleabay. It's kinda ridiculous--I was riding the green one around at Carlisle one year and a guy tried to sell me another. When I told him I had all three colors already, he offered to buy mine.

--rick

Thats crazy $39! i woulda bought them all too lol. Wally world sucks up here for bikes, no cruisers just cheap mtn bikes and kids bikes I bought my gf a pink walmart schwinn for 98$ in washington and bought the matching mens blue one lol wish I was down there when they had the repops. what year did they come out? when did the orange and purple ones come out? different years?

Xmas 2007 was the blue, green, and black Wal-Mart bikes. The others like orange and purple were significantly earlier (2000? someone help me out here) and were definitely NOT Wal-Mart purchases... I remember seeing one at a bike store years ago and it was also significantly more expensive, as CCR and Willg posted above. Be aware that the Wal-Mart ones, while they will probably hold up fine for some casual riding, are not as well-made nor as faithful to the original '60s bikes as the earlier repops. The circa-2000 models were true replicas, the Wal-Mart ones were kinda somewhat reasonable facsimiles. If you look close, you can see that there's lots of parts on the WM ones that just look cheap.

Don't get me wrong, I love mine... I just recognize that they're not in the same league as the originals or the bike-store repops.

--rick

i found out about the bfk's so late they were about gone. i lucked across one the walmart near where i worked had for $59. wish i could have gotten a couple so i could experiment with one.

Tychevelle said:
Wally world sucks up here for bikes, no cruisers just cheap mtn bikes and kids bikes

All Walmarts stock different bikes, but if you go to their website you can have ANY of the bikes on there (hundreds) shipped to store for free, some bikes are available online only (not in stores) but ship to the stores for free. I know we are talking about Walmart bikes, but they are a good jumping point. I was looking on their website last night and saw their 29" coaster brake cruiser for $149... sweet.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Genesis-Onyx- ... e/16203481

Ok thanks :) . Ya I could tell the single speeds look like walmart bikes but I was thinkin to my self the 5 spds look to nice to be wm material. The 5 spd ones would be a nice one to have like as in the true repop like you were saying I'm guessin those ones are somewhat more? Are there big differences from them to the originals?

i think i bought my green krate new in 2004;
coulda been 2000;time slips by fast... :|
i know it cost like $350. i made the mistake of
pricing it to someone for $200. :oops: :arrow:
luckily he turned it down. 8)

the 2007's where dubbed "bfk" by bicycle enthusiast..
they where produced & sold as stingrays.

KJV said:
i think i bought my green krate new in 2004;
coulda been 2000;time slips by fast... :|
i know it cost like $350. i made the mistake of
pricing it to someone for $200. :oops: :arrow:
luckily he turned it down. 8)

the 2007's where dubbed "bfk" by bicycle enthusiast..
they where produced & sold as stingrays.

Is yours a single speed walmart bfk or a 5 spd bike store krate?

Back