KONA Humu Humu &*^^%%$

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I can never pronounce it. This was my base for the Xtracycle before the frame on the Xtra broke. I plan on finding a new donor bike for the Xtracycle when the frame is replace.

I laced the 7spd Nexus from my Electra Deluxe 7. Put on some skinny tires and new chainring/bashguard upfront.
It goes fast. I am happy to get back on the saddle of this bike.

0722082008.jpg

0722082009a.jpg

0722082009.jpg

nice lookin bike, i actually rode a kona dew a while back, nice, lighter and quicker than what im used too, but im not ready to give up the old bikes just yet :mrgreen: though it did make me start to favor rim brakes a little more than id like to admit :oops:

yeh they are like sport cars. The Kona Dew is a cool bike especially with the big wheels and disc brakes. But I dont' think I can do Aluminum. The steel frames are more forgiving and comfy. Just got back from a ride with the dog on this bike. Nice ride except the front rim brake and coaster brake are interesting. Now I need to source another Brooks saddle for my new Xtra

cman said:
...The steel frames are more forgiving and comfy...

i can believe that, i wasnt sure if the bumpier ride was the frame or those fancy bricks they call a seat :mrgreen:

Sweet bike! - gotta get some pics of my Humu on here too! :) Just got an 8-speed internal on it and one of those ESGE double kickstands... Go Kona!

Triggerfish said:
Sweet bike! - gotta get some pics of my Humu on here too! :) Just got an 8-speed internal on it and one of those ESGE double kickstands... Go Kona!

Does your Humu have a kickstand plate?

It does not, I had to use a backing plate...

--- I was using a rear frame stand that was SOLID for loading the Burley trailer with my kids - or the kiddie seat when I had it on, but when I got the 8-speed internal on back I lost that option (cable routing for rear hub brake). So, I took a gamble on the ESGE model (kinda pricey) and it is pretty stout too. Front wheel is off the ground when it is on the stand now. Kinda looks like double pipes off the side too when I'm pretending to be a motorcycle (gotta get some more playing cards)

Triggerfish said:
Kinda looks like double pipes off the side too when I'm pretending to be a motorcycle (gotta get some more playing cards)

No playing cards get the real thing :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
310CCSHTYZL._SS500_.jpg

Love the loop tail design on this frame...so 80s Mongoose-ish. :D

I bet it does boogie with the skinny tires and the Nexus 7.

That's my only complaint about my Dyno Moto 7....the fat tires look cool, but slow ya waaaay down.

Yeh this thing goes fast. The coaster brake is a little odd, I mostly use the front brake. I wish more companies would make looptails. New frames look like all the design went into the front and they get to the back and just weld where they can.

Now I have my own Moto 7 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I know what you mean about getting used to a coaster brake.

My Dyno is a feewheel and the Electra I just bought is a coaster brake.

Makes for plenty of brain to leg confusion when I ride both very often.

cman said:

Sweet! Gotta get one of those :)

I have a drum brake on the back-end now and kinda miss the coaster brake... I needed something I could keep stopped by hand though when walking the bike+kiddie trailer up or down some trail entrances here in town. I'm thinking of a brake up front too... probably drum to keep it really clean and simple.

WHO MOO WHO MOO NEW KOO NEW KOO AH POOH AH AH, that's one of the only things I learned when I lived in Hawaii. That and that I don't care for poi.

cman said:
Triggerfish said:
Kinda looks like double pipes off the side too when I'm pretending to be a motorcycle (gotta get some more playing cards)

i Dont have pictures, but when me and my old friend jay made our first chopper bike, We had 2 of these on the back, his dad cut it and made it so it would mount on it n yea. We used a Dyno bmx frame and cut up his moms mtn bike forks 2 make ours. Man i miss that bike we had hours and hours of fun on it. Thanks for bringin back memorys ;)

310CCSHTYZL._SS500_.jpg

Back