Kommanderwagen bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some pics of a bike I recently finished for a friend who built a replica VW Kommanderwagen and wanted a bike of the same style.
What you can't see from the photos is the cool wrinkle finish off-white powdercoating. The inspiration for the seat came from Mayday Customs "Dig It" bike (awesome awesome bike!). The car willl soon have a shovel on it typical of Kommanderwagens, so the shovel seat was a great fit. The last pic is an example pic of a Kommanderwagen for those of you who aren't familiar.

Comm5.jpg

Comm3.jpg

CommScrap2.jpg

kommanderwagenExample.jpg

Curtis

A WHITE RAT!!!.... NICE!

very cool and edgy bike using knobies and on this bike it looks very right well done. i asume those are felt tires that come on the vintage iron mx looking bikes. now then i am a bit of a vw nut myself and i asume he built a copy of a type 82. i think the one in the photo is another type that i cant remember the number designation for but basicly the difference was the one in the photo is 4wd. if you look at the hub you can see where the end of the axle snub comes through. only a few were build as the front and rear had spools in the trans and front end and drove horrably and riped themselves apart. would love to see his replica that he built as well. you should be very proud of this bike as i think it is "different"

Thank you for the kind comments.

No they aren't Felt tires, they're 24x3.0 Duro Wildlife Leopard. I used an offset rear sprocket to clear the tires, they were even wider than other 24x3.0 I've used before, with the big nubs sticking out. I just bring these tires in special order when someone needs them, not as common a choice as street tread tires, but for this project they were perfect.

I don't think he was spefic about the type of Kommanderwagen he was building, it was just meant to look like a Kommanderwagen, and it's a hoot to ride in!

Curtis

superbe bike!

The frame is a new 26" cruiser frame, all the parts were new except for the grips, seat, and front signal light.
The grips are actually modified Beetle exhaust tips, I should have taken a close up of those, they turned out nice, the ends are still rolled and you can see a bit of the baffle, so a vw guy/gal would recognize what they came from.

Curtis

All white with the gnarly knobbies looks great. Very different without many fancy or exotic parts.

other then the handlebars being flipped upside down, that has got to be one of the coolest bikes I have ever seen! Must be because I'm German, but dispite that. VERY cool! :mrgreen: 2 Thumbs up!

wow never seen those tires before very interesting. and funny i did not even notice the "pea shooter" exhaust grips. yea sorry i am a vw buff at heart got the tattoos to prove it now we need a shot of the bike sitting next to his bug. very very well done bike

Back