Keeping the rust away

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put my western flyer in the storage shed for winter I live in Washington State. My fenders seat springs and springer front end all have some pitting . I don't want it to get worse I sprayed some wd 40 on a sock and rubbed everything down I could touch. But is there a more clever better way?

Abbynorml said:
I use spray wax to keep air off of things so they cant oxidize, you have to clean it off later but it works good.
What exactly is this spray wax called and were do you find it?

Normally I chose my favorite bike and disassemble it and put the parts under the bed :wink: The rest I let rust in the shed or just re-clean in the summer. (my shed is not even close to watertight)

I took the shed apart that was one one side of the house a re erected it.
c6e4d2cb-4bff-748e.jpg

c6e4d2cb-4c10-06ca.jpg

c6e4d2cb-4c23-c922.jpg

I'm in school and we live in a trailer park better than paying rent and then getting nothing this was the same cost as an appt. anyway my neighbors that I eventually got evicted for damaging my property and screaming all night long at each other. One day they decided our shed that was on the side of the trailer closest to their place was there's they cut the lock off and started using it after we got them out I decided to move the shed to a side where it can't be vandalized

c6e4d2cb-4d6a-1ba8.jpg

Here's the fence I had to build to keep them from dragging stuff through our yard to get to their yard they completely blocked their own access with misc. garbage
They also were nice enough to take their dogs into our yard and let them poop one day I saw one of their kids in our yard with a dog on the leash letting it poop
c6e4d2cb-4dde-fe93.jpg

Some deck screws sticking out to discourage climbing and out vandalizing the fence I just built

The eight camera surveillance I had to put up to discourage the neighbors from continually destroying my property can view it from my iPhone and has a 500gb DVR can record about 31 days of surveillance
c6e4d2cb-4ee2-b86f.jpg

Had good audio to could listen to them all the time lol

yes you can get turtle wax or some other and then spray on on the frame and other areas you can use a small towel to protect the paint and all the other you can just spray. I have used furniture wax also on my motorcycles, I live near the beach so the salt air gets everywhere even when covered..

I use Turtle Wax Cleaner, which is a gel-like wax and minor cleaner that is easy to apply and rubs off like normal car wax. It leaves a microscopic layer of wax on top of surfaces that protects it from rust. It works great on paint and does wonders for chrome and even hardware, and the side effect is the really nice shine it leaves behind. I'm not sure how it would affect matte paint or natural patina though.
I wax all my bikes once or twice a year and have seen little rust buildup, and I live at the beach where all bikes rust whether they're in the rain or not.

A friend said in a storage shed a simple fan will work to keep moisture out it keeps the air moving similiar to If the wind is blowing you don't have frost on your windows

Why in the world would you want to avoid a character building process for your bike :wink:

Back