Justin's Bicycle Shop, Open For Charity!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had 4 kids stop by yesterday. Had to put rear brakes back on a kid's bike from where he had removed his pads and lost them and his uncle said he couldn't ride anymore without them, smart man.

I also adjusted the seat and bars on the bike I built.

The other 2 kids that came around were just being nosey, they had really nice bikes and are responsible for making fun of the kid I build the bike for. I went out there just to make my presence known and not let them see my collection until they can straighten up and get over themselves.

You know what they say, "If you love something let it go, if it comes back to you missing parts and covered with silver paint maybe you should just throw it away."

Well that's not exactly how it goes. :?

That pretty bike above (the Jamaican colored one), well I've watched it over the past weeks, get scratched, get out of adjustment, lose parts, gain stickers, and most recently be completely spray bombed chrome silver. :x I'm not mad at the kid, it's his bike and he always deserved better, but it was a good riding bike for him.

Long story short, he's going away tomorrow till August, he's not in trouble, it's a place to help him. I asked him what he could take, he's allowed to have his bike (as long as he wears a helmet, which he has), toys, the computer the school gave him, etc... he just has to "earn" it when he gets there. He came by the church today and we said our goodbyes there and I mentioned I had a wallet to give him at my house. He showed up on that bike, boy did it look horrible, so I went outside and reached into the pile and pulled out a Mike Spinner Hyperco "Pro" bike (Walmart) frame, the one that I bought to use the little crank off of. With him beside me I set to stripping the decals, only halfway through did I tell him I was getting it ready for him. He got excited and started helping.

Cleaned the decal goo off and polished the black paint. Put a Haro chainring on it and a matched set of alloy rims I'd been saving for myself. A set of tires I'd been saving for myself. A set of cool lightweight pedals I'd been saving for myself (are you sensing a pattern here) and actually before polishing the paint I put a set of Rockstar energy drink decals on it... you guessed it, that I'd been saving for myself.

The bike went together pretty well, the worst part was that I had to heat and beat the drive side chainstay to clear the chainring since the bike originally had microdrive on it and wasn't meant to clear a normal size ring. I also grabbed a nice goldish colored KMC Z-chain, yeah, I was going to use if on something else.

In the end he rode off on a bike that made me jealous and I'm left with a spray bombed turd. haha

That kid is worth it. If you're the praying type, send a prayer out for "D"... God will know who you're talking about.

yoothgeye said:
Thanks man, sometimes I think life would be easier if I were selfish, but I just can't wrap my brain around it.

This is an awesome quote. My wife and I try to live this way too.

cman said:
yoothgeye said:
Thanks man, sometimes I think life would be easier if I were selfish, but I just can't wrap my brain around it.

You know sometimes I feel pretty selfish by the way I grab and hold onto things, but then in an instant I just give till it hurts, I'd rather see someone happy than horde stuff or talents away. I'm glad you and your wife live the same way, once that is accomplished, then we have to work on gaining patience for those that truly live opposite to that.

I stopped by the school the other day and got a photo of the bike I made for him at the bike rack. It's the black Rockstar bike:

SAM_0757.jpg

Just for reference, remember I said that the bike (seen pages back as the red/yellow/green bike) came back covered in spray paint, well here it is in all it's "chrome" glory. :roll:

SAM_0855.jpg

dragnusa said:
Thats a shame. did the kid do it or did someone else?

He did, I explained on the last page, once I gave it to him it was his bike and that's what he wanted to do... too bad his friend sprayed the rear tire, that thing was out of the box brand new! haha

dragnusa said:
I understand why you do it the way you do with the bikes, but that would get disheartening to me

It kind of was with this one, but most of the time I don't build bikes from scratch for kids, just fix 'em up.

yoothgeye said:
cman said:
yoothgeye said:

You know sometimes I feel pretty selfish by the way I grab and hold onto things, but then in an instant I just give till it hurts, I'd rather see someone happy than horde stuff or talents away. I'm glad you and your wife live the same way, once that is accomplished, then we have to work on gaining patience for those that truly live opposite to that.

I try to live the same way. I have given away or "fake traded" so many bikes just because I saw that a kid really liked them. Most times I do trades that the value is WAY higher than what they have to offer but 9 times out of 10 there is little profit to be made on kids bikes anyway, I figure it's a good way to spread the love.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. -Jimi Hendrix

Over a year later I thought I should give an update.

I'm still doing what I do. Fixing bikes for free. Mostly tubes, I wish I had a source for getting "large" quantities of 20" and 26" tubes at a discount, maybe 10-20 at a time.

These BMX kids, tubes and chain adjustments. I also change their grips for them since I use the air compressor to blow the grips off and on they can ride immediately without waiting for them to dry. I am also constantly adjusting the height and angle of their saddles, they never ride them in a comfortable position, they just put them however all the other kids are.

The cheap microdrive freewheels, always trying to keep them on the road, a band aid here, some duct tape there. Ugh.

The older learning disabled man next door, I put a 26" tube in his bike at least once a month. He rides a lot, and when I get his bike I make other necessary repairs and adjustments to keep him mobile. The problem more recently was that the bike was coming to me with the chain covered in some kind of lubricant, someone else has been spraying down his chain with something, which attracts and hold dirt and makes it wear faster, what a mess. I also changed a tube that I didn't put in the bike, I know because it was a slime tube, and it didn't do it's job. He's 65 years old with the mental capacity of a 10 year old. Just a big kid that knows his age and tries to act it, he's a lot of fun to joke around with whenever he limps that bike to the shop.

I have sold 3 bikes this summer, all BMX bikes. The first one sold so quick I thought there was a market and I got excited and built another which took forever to sell. Meanwhile I sold another cheap one. One comes back for regular repairs as the kid has made his own adjustments and really abuses the bike. Another had the rear wheel stolen (a really nice dual wall alloy rim that I had laced 48 spoke 4 cross) and the guy came back and I gave him another "big axle" rear wheel with tube and tire to get his daughter riding again. I'm glad the other was sold out of town! haha

No big money made, enough to have a little more spending money on vacation and have more bike parts money.

So, I'm still at it, fun at some times, frustrating as well, but I'll keep doing it until someone else sees the market and re-opens the old bicycle shop.

I think if you're trying to make money doing bike repairs you need to get a different job. If you truly love bikes and love working on them and it's a hobby for you and enjoy finding the older ones then and only then are you going to make good money but those finds are very few and far between. I have had several bikes that I have made awesome money on however for those 20 or so bikes a year I have also sifted through 100's of other "Junk" bikes and lost money on so it evens itself out. Most bikes I build because I like it and want to build something for myself I always end up putting more into it than it will ever be worth. My Diamondback mountain bike I bought for $50, then after new tires, tubes, grips, shift cables, shifters, new gear cluster, derailleur, rack, wheels, exc. I am going to be over $250 into it but it will ride perfect and I will enjoy the heck out of it.

I've never considered making this a moneymaking hobby, because then it wouldn't be a hobby anymore. When I sell a bike it's just "extra" money, nothing more, and selling bikes is a rarity.

yoothgeye said:
I've never considered making this a moneymaking hobby, because then it wouldn't be a hobby anymore. When I sell a bike it's just "extra" money, nothing more, and selling bikes is a rarity.

You're exactly right. When bike building was just a hobby for me I horded bikes and parts. Now I'm picking at least once a week just to keep my inventory full.

BUT

I wouldn't trade it for anything and it supports me through college. I've been in positions to buy some great bikes and every now and then I keep them for myself. 8)

Back