Just "TRUSS" me

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend gave me a 1959 Schwinn Traveler for free. The Schwinn Spitfire tires were free. The aluminum rims were free. The donor canti-frame was a newer Schwinn - free. I bought the handle bars for $5.00 I had the rest. I've always wanted a 1920's vintage Truss framed bike. I cut the canti-tube off the newer frame and welded it on the Traveler. I rides awesome. All the parts came from the same friend over a one year period. A new welder in the garage helps. Gary
DSCN1595.jpg

DSCN1592.jpg

DSCN1593.jpg

DSCN1596.jpg

Nice job!

I have a Schwinn Varsity multi-gear frame with blade forks that is just SCREAMING for this treatment!

Thanks for the idea! (My wife doesn't thank you though!) :D

I'm sure this treatment has been done before. I just couldn't believe how it fell together for almost "free". Thanks for the comments. Now my friend says I could give it all back if I get tired of it. Gary

Such a simple modification but it really adds interest to a frame I would have thought about using for spare tubing. Need to get some old metal pedals on there.
Like these:
paintedpedal.jpg

Yes indeed, I need some pedals just like that. I've got some old 10 speed pedals but they just don't cut it. Thanks for the tip. I'll go digging this weekend. Gary

Back