...just passing through, thought I'd say hello.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where to begin...first off I'm not much for intro's but since The Renaissance Man asked that I should introduce myself, here ya go.

I've spent some time on and off checking out different bike boards, especially back around 2005-2009. This was a period of time that I was involved in a ground up build that I had lingering in my head for years.... a Board Track Racer.

While Board Trackers seem to be the norm now it really wasn't not so long ago. I looked at different frames, wheels, handlebars etc. trying to get a feel for what would work for my project.

I spent some time going to different bike shows/swap meets, auctions etc. picking up different items that I thought "some day" this will work for my Board Track build. One item in particular was my Indian Scout head badge bought at an auction in PA. probably 5 years prior to starting the build. I bought the bike just for the badge, fortunately the bike was pretty trashed so I didn't pay that much for it and the badge was still in good condition.

As time went on, interest in various bicycles took over, vintage English 3 speeds in particular, hence my username.

Before I knew it I realized that if I didn't get started on my build it would never come to be. I finally buckled down and practically locked myself in the garage.
Little by little with a borrowed MIG welder I started the layout, cutting, fabricating and lots of time in deep thought.

Eventually with patience and no dead line 5 years later I ended up with this.

Along the way as I mentioned, auctions started to get the better of me and my wallet. One auction in particular here in Ohio were the remains of a Bicycle shop that closed back in the 50's. The shop owner had left over bike parts packed away in a back shanty attached to his garage. He was a hoarder in no uncertain terms.
I remember talking to one of the guys that worked there the day of the auction, he told me they spent a week cleaning out the house just so they could navigate through, it was filled with garbage...sad.
(auction site, day after)

Since everyone likes pictures I happened to have a few that will speak for themselves...a lot of this stuff was in various states, "good items" went for big money. Lots of NOS skip tooth chain, Delta Rocket Ray's, reflectors, advertisement etc. I didn't have and interest in that stuff, I needed a frame for my Board Tracker.

I ended up purchasing the remnants of the back room after everything else was gone. A 55 gallon drum of old handle bars, boxes and bins of hubs, stems, cranks, sprockets and old used nuts and bolts that any hoarder couldn't bring themselves to throw out. I had to rent a 15' box truck to get it all home.
(in my drive...note: you may recognize the reddish color frame, it's my "Patina" bike posted in the photo contest)

And some frames
(UGH!)

....the amusing part, I ended up fabricating most of the frame for my project.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...enjoy the photos.

Back