Just installed a car horn on my 60's Schwinn American

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I restored this bike over my winter break this past December. This past weekend I installed a horn and the rear fender. A friend of mine installed new horns in his car so I installed one of the old horns on my bike. There is a 8- AA battery pack under the seat and the button to activate the horn is under the seat too. On the back of the horn it says "110 decibles" so it is pretty loud. If a car cuts me off they will get a surprise. haha. Also, the wooden handle is the handbrake. I welded V-brake posts to the frame and fabricated the lever mechanism myself. It only took a few hours. 8) Also, I had to cut the fender to stop at the seat stays because it would rub the big tire I have on it. The clearance between the tire and fender is about 2-3 mm.

OrangeBike4.jpg

OrangeBike3.jpg

OrangeBike2.jpg

OrangeBike7.jpg

THAT'D be a fun toy! (begin evil,mad scientist style laugh) 8)

Thanks! I've yet to use it though. I've tested it out around the house but I haven't had a chance to ride it because I have my final exams at college this week so next week if I hapen to piss anybody off with it I will share the stories. I hope a car cuts me off. lol

Nice mounting job and cool idea but I think I'd turn that horn upside down if I were you. 110 db blasting up toward your head will not do your ears a bit of good. Look at the old 30's bikes with the EA pancake horn mounted on the bars. That's what you need to rig up so that sound goes down the road in front of you. Gary

Good idea! if you look closely at the horn you will see the edges of the foam tape I put inside the horn to make it slightly quieter. It doesn't help much though. When I get home after finals I will flip it upside down.

Back