Just Foolin Around - 1941 Colson

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Immediately after removing everything that was not correct or original... not much left...

Some elements getting finished:

Wheels are built from chrome drop center rims, stainless Sapim Race spokes, gold nipples, Komet rear hub, Union front hub.

Komet rear hub (German built Fichtel & Sachs) because they are among the very best, meaning lowest drag.

Union (german) front hub because my red 47 higgins uses one and is the smoothest fastest yet.

Drivetrain dialed in - 1/2 inch drive because it is smoother, quieter and faster (thanks to npence for chainwheel). Murray crankarm because it is longer than the Colson. ;) BMX grade chain for gravitas. Cool "Schwinn Approved" pedals, very nice quality. My standard 52 / 18 gearing.

Curious stem that looks a lot like the common Wald knuckle but is slightly different with a tapered top. Schwinn midweight headset is high quality.

The rumpled headbage had to go... I need to do better.

Interesting neck. Wonder who made it? Who would make a copy of a Wald anything? Maybe the Wald we always see is the copy and you have the original type. You can call it the nutcracker type 2. :p Gary

dlf58 said:
no love for the flying ace badge? I have a 45 huffman with the same badge, and I like it.

I probably did not say that accurately; I have no issue with the design itself. It is actually the condition that is not attractive to me.

Tinkered a lttle today... i had ridden about 20 miles and the bike was not tracking well. i narrowed the problem down to the fork. i had trued the fork previously, but at a spread out width. when clamped down to actual hub width it was no longer holding true. the root problem is the hole-but-no-slot fork used by colson in the good old days. seventy three years of yanking the fork open to remove or replace the wheel had taken a toll. i decided to tighten up the fork spacing to actual hub width and re-true the fork at working width. and in addition i would slot the right side of the fork which will reduce future yanking considerably.

Before

After

i could tell while re-assembling that the problem was solved. the wheel lined up perfect with the headtube. the proof of the pudding is in the tasting - the test ride checked out, the bike tracks straight and stable and passes the no-hands test. ;)

The frame had an amateur repaint with chips scrapes, etc... nothing vintage to salvage here. So I channeled my inner 10 year old and painted the chainguard to match and added the bright apple green trim in a sort-of-original style. No measuring, not much sanding, no eyeglasses even :eek:, intentionally crude...

The spot weld on the chainguard bracket broke while I was masking off the green region... 2 steps forward, 1 step backward. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Looks Great! The tank you didn't use is worth some bucks! They are very hard to find at a reasonable price.d

Yes
Looks Great! The tank you didn't use is worth some bucks! They are very hard to find at a reasonable price.d

You're telling me... I posted "Wanted" adds for 2 years with no response... :(

I looked for about that long myself & finally gave up. If I found one, I couldn't afford it.

I looked for about that long myself & finally gave up. If I found one, I couldn't afford it.

I still have one less tank than I have frames... so this one can go naked... :eek:

Last edited:
Back