JUST BOUGHT AN OP CRUISER FROM WM

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some small updates but updates none the less.

since my springer didnt fit due to the very long head tube on the OP frame i went and painted the stock fork flat black. i also bought some new bars and grips,took off the stickers and chain guard. looks better but still not what i want it to look like.

im thinking of a new saddle,something with a vintage look with buttons on the side,maybe a swept back seat post, truss for the front fork, headlight,and maybe some small ape hangers and a new stem. id also like to get a short rear fender like you see on bobbers.

well anyway, onto the pics of my wip.

bone stock:

DSCF7235.jpg

painted fork:

tattandbike003.jpg

new bars:

tattandbike004.jpg

and a pic of the whole bike :

tattandbike002.jpg

i bought some small rise "ape hangers" i didnt want chrome but thats all the bike shop had.so i went out to the local sport shop and bought some hockey stick tape.

here are the pics of the bars on the bike about to be taped.

apes002.jpg

apes001.jpg

im not sure i like th stem. i want to get more of a lean on the bike.maybe a shorter stem and a laid back seat post are in the near future. i also want to make a tank insert.

so far things ive done to the bike :
painted front fork flat black (was gloss grey)
removed all stickers
remove chain guard and lowered seat
put on some mtb handle bars for a bit
now i have the ape hangers on.
taped the apes with black hockey tape. (pics soon)

Bigcam59 said:
no, but i took the crank and rear hub apart and added a nice dollop of real grease to the bearings. Also check your chain tension. If its too tight the drivetrain will make all sorts of noise.

I bought one of these about a month ago. I took all the stickers off, painted the bars and forks flat black, and replaced the seat. I tried flipping the stock bars, but found it uncomfortable. I like a couple ideas in this thread, the 'shorty' ape hangers look way cool. Sure would like to see pics of the springer front end too!

But I do have a question, mine makes a pop from the bottom bracket when I stop pedaling. I would like to take the cranks off to take a look what's going on in there, (and put on a smaller chainring) but have been unsuccessful. What did you use to get the nut loose in the cranks? None of my sockets fit in the crank hole. TIA.

I have a pic but I must not have 'attachment' privileges right off the bat.

stickbender

Stickbender; If you can post, you can post pics. I just load them to my web hosting page, hit the Img button on the post reply and paste them in. Otherwise, you can get free hosting from Photobucket as described here :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=172

stickbender said:
Bigcam59 said:
no, but i took the crank and rear hub apart and added a nice dollop of real grease to the bearings. Also check your chain tension. If its too tight the drivetrain will make all sorts of noise.

I bought one of these about a month ago. I took all the stickers off, painted the bars and forks flat black, and replaced the seat. I tried flipping the stock bars, but found it uncomfortable. I like a couple ideas in this thread, the 'shorty' ape hangers look way cool. Sure would like to see pics of the springer front end too!

But I do have a question, mine makes a pop from the bottom bracket when I stop pedaling. I would like to take the cranks off to take a look what's going on in there, (and put on a smaller chainring) but have been unsuccessful. What did you use to get the nut loose in the cranks? None of my sockets fit in the crank hole. TIA.

I have a pic but I must not have 'attachment' privileges right off the bat.

stickbender

i havent taken my crank apart yet.mine also makes that pop noise. i guess its what ya get for 98.00 !

some updates.

went and bought some hockey tape and covered the bars. it was pretty easy to do and came out nice. i like the look.

upclose :
bikeandsocks003.jpg

further back:
bikeandsocks002.jpg

and here is a pic with my dog. he wasnt happy about staying still. lol
bikeandsocks001.jpg

found a cool bell seat on clearance and went and bought it. i like the leather color. now i need some grips of the same to equal it out.

DSCF7284.jpg

DSCF7288.jpg

DSCF7282.jpg

I bought some nice honey brown stitched leather (like) grips at my local Walmart that match that seat nicely. I actually have that same seat on my BF Goodrich Challenger...comfy!

That looks like the leather Bell seat that has been on sale at my Walmart, they sell a set of matching color leather grips that have also been on clearance for $7.50. The same stock should also be available in Target or Kmart.

hmmmm, i didnt see no grips. ill have to go back and check and see. thestock seat was actually more comfortable but this one looks better.

Back