Just another stingray.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im trying to find my before pictures. Im building this custom 5 speed stingray. Its completely not original! I found a part here, part there, frame here, fork there, other parts may still be at your house in your stash! I still need a 5 speed sprocket i like and a chaingaurd.
I had the frame sandblasted to get the rust and paint off. Filled in most of the pitting with napa self etching automotive grey primer.
Drum brake 5 speed hub from a sears spyder, schwinn s-2 rear rim with formerly nos gripper slick, front s-7 with westwind tire, huge ape hanger handlebars, suspension handlebar stem(may not stay on this bike),black schwinn shorty fenders, black fork(may paint green so i can use black decals).
I rebuilt the wheels . Laced the rear hub into the s-2, And much more.
I have a speedometer and a schwinn headlight(the round headlight for stingrays) , and more parts laying around for it.
Seat is still pending. I have a long troxel, girls seat, cheap white seat or buy a seat to choose from. I may just recover the troxel with black leather and be done with it. I havent decided yet. Here are some pictures for now of how it sits in parts. Its painted with metalcast green by dupli-color. It still needs clear coat in the picture. Thanks for looking!
Ill update as soon as i make some progress .
DSC09907_zpsb5689ea0.jpg

DSC09911_zps10ceb410.jpg

DSC09912_zpse8d71dbe.jpg

DSC09915_zps91bdf64a.jpg

DSC09916_zpscf40f522.jpg

I like it so far. That stem is odd but cool. I wish I had a stem like that to put on my Columbia mach 5 frame. It is also a collection of parts, the stranger the better. Every time I find a part that doesn't make sense on the bike I add it to it.

What kind of chainguard are you looking for? I have some oldschool stingray guards but I think they might be for juniors and will only fit over the lucky 7 sprockets or similar sized.

Im looking for a stock stingray gaurd of any year but it has to be for the big sprocket. Im looking for a mag sprocket too so i dont have to use a varsity 4 pack sprocket.

Peatbog said:
That color is really cool.

Just what I was thinking...it bears a close resemblance to the '60's Schwinn Radiant Green. 8)

My camera wont take a good picture of the color on this bike. I finished it and had to keep it put up because eveyone and their grandma wanted to stop me and talk about their old bike. I had more than a few tell me that its all original and theres no way i painted it. Lol. Knowers of all, masters of none ! I did get rid of the suicide brake and ran a reguar style brake set up using a tandem bike rear brake cable.

The handlebars made it comfortable to ride. I recovered a old seat with a pleather jacket sleeve . It came out great.

Latest posts

Back