Junk Bros. Build LOCO-CYCLE 8/08 DONE! link to pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Junk Bros. Build 5-18

kingfish254 said:
Somehow I missed your faux springer and trusses. Nice work. Now lets see that rear one!!!!!!

I have about half-a-plan for it. Didn't get to work on the build last night, had to build up a bike for a neighbor. He's one of those 2012 guys and he needs a bicycle for the post-apocalypse... OK, I think I can do that. But he does have a great tornado shelter! And he is a great guy despite the doom and despair...

Rg

raggedjim said:
kingfish254 said:
Somehow I missed your faux springer and trusses. Nice work. Now lets see that rear one!!!!!!

I have about half-a-plan for it. Didn't get to work on the build last night, had to build up a bike for a neighbor. He's one of those 2012 guys and he needs a bicycle for the post-apocalypse... OK, I think I can do that. But he does have a great tornado shelter! And he is a great guy despite the doom and despair...

Rg

I came a long way with mockups of my rear suspension today. Take a look and tell me what you think. Still looking forward to seeing what you come up with for yours.

[/quote]I came a long way with mockups of my rear suspension today. Take a look and tell me what you think. Still looking forward to seeing what you come up with for yours.[/quote]

Your's looks great, mine is mostly chewing gum and bailing wire. Actually, I MAY get a few pics tonight, I have a rough mock-up and I believe it looks okay. Still details to work out though...

Keep it up, Rg

Well, I had decided to build a fake rear springer similar to a twinflex but using 2 springs instead of 1. I needed some stiff material to make the rear axle plates so I rooted around the garage and found this. A Bendix brake arm. Actually, I found 2 which is even better. Spent 2 hours drilling 4 holes (actually about 20 holes, you know the drill, small bit, little bigger bit, yadda, yadda…) What are these things make of??? They were hard to say the least. Ended up with these.
DSC00246.jpg

DSC00247.jpg

DSC00248.jpg

Grabbed some pipe and washers, welded, grinded, picked up hot stuff and yelled “Buttermilk Biscuits”, then crawled around on the floor looking for the hot thing I had flung across the garage. Found it in my box of Freddy Fender 8-tracks, Wasted Days, I know… Welded them to the frame (not the 8-tracks)… I feel these are considered parts (Rule Eight)
DSC00251.jpg

Now, I need advice. Please look at the 3 mock ups and let me know which flows best. I know which way I am leaning (and will probably do it that way regardless) but I would like to weigh the options... These were mocked before I welded the spring mount on.

DSC00243.jpg

DSC00244.jpg

DSC00245.jpg

I asked my wife, and she said they all look the same to her. And they say women have an eye for detail(?) To me they are as different as night and day.

Thanks guys and get to building, Rg

Re: Junk Bros. Build LOCO-CYCLE 5/22

End of the arm(3). I also like your art deco chainguard.

First picture looks best to me.

I like the first one looks clean but the third one looks like it may have the most travel

big kountry said:
I like the first one looks clean but the third one looks like it may have the most travel

Agreed. First one looks the best, third one looks the most functional.

That is AWESOME!!! I like the end of the arms look better and think it will be more funtional...the other pic looks to busy right were the bar comes down and the sprocket is right there in the middle of it. The other pic looks...cleaner. Like everything has it's own space to be in.

Thanks for the replies guys, I liked the 1st because it parallelled the rear stay. Actually, with the first one, you would get more travel with less spring compression due to the wheel being farther from the pivot point. Reminds me of how blown away I was when I realized that the outside points on a record travel faster that the points closer to the hole. Same rpm but different distance travelled in the same period of time. I got a headache...

The third one would transfer the force more efficiently, but require more spring travel for the same amount of wheel travel. It's a trade-off, but in the end I'll pick what looks good and still works...

Rg

the rear suspension looks awesome!! I am curious if it will work with a single speed - direct chain or is a chain tensioner necessary with the travel?
Will definitely keep watching!

I decided to go with version 1 (thanks for the feedback). I gathered up the parts I thought I would need. Some of it was laying around my garage, but I did buy some acorn nuts and the lock ring that has a set screw in it.
DSC00255.jpg

Just a bunch of pictures of the completed strut. Still have to clean up welds and all that. One side is done, the fun part will be getting the other side to match. I hope I’m not adding too many pictures, if so let me know and I’ll cut back. Photobucket is goofy lately, anyone notice this?

DSC00254.jpg

DSC00253.jpg

DSC00257.jpg

DSC00258.jpg

Latest posts

Back