Junior Stingray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, we pulled a junior stingray out of the neighbor'so garage a few years ago & now my kids will fit it. I'm looking for tips on finding parts & cleaning it up without breaking the bank.

The first order of business will be relacing the wheels, both ends hop and wobble significantly. Is there a good source for spokes & nipples, or should I just hit a local bike shop?

Otherwise the bike is complete. Bearings are all shot, and there's a bit of rust, but it's basically all there.

Last edited:
You also have a bent fork. Do the wheels have knurling on the centers, or any other marking? They will if original. If they are original rims rebuilding with local shop spokes may be worth it, if not, a set of common 20" wheels is probably cheaper. Also, those bikes are worth some real money. If somebody tries to give you 50 bucks for it, just say no.

deorman, thanks for the input; I wasn't sure about the fork. The rims have the knurled centers & are labelled Schwinn Tubular S7, which I believe makes them the original 20s.

Thats a nice bike!! Just needs a little love. like Deorman said that chrome should clean up nicely. the old Schwinns had some extremely tough chrome. Your local bike shop should have the tools to straighten the forks, if not go to the tech section, lots of good advice there. Keep the original wheels if you can. Thats some very nice original paint ,with beautiful graphics on the chainguard.
Its a keeper for sure.

Back