Jude's finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes! I got that brown one too a month or so ago; I had never seen that before and thought it was super unique to have a SA 3 speed rear hub with coaster brake.
The coaster is cool but the SA AW is the best that thing is bullet proof. Flush them out with wd40 ride for a while then a few drops of 3n1 oil.They rarely need to be rebuilt

That seat you need reconditioning is what it need wicked patina I grab every raliegh I can ask @MattiThundrrr
100%!

-the seller was upset about the seat wear…. I told him some people are actually looking for that and the wear and patina would be very attractive to the right buyer.
The coaster is cool but the SA AW is the best that thing is bullet proof. Flush them out with wd40 ride for a while then a few drops of 3n1 oil.They rarely need to be rebuilt
Ha! That’s what I do with about everything! I just thought I was being lazy!

if it’s really crusty, I’ll hit it with some carb cleaner for good measure.

I was originally attracted to the blue bike as it had the brooks saddle and matching finders, that were just taken off but came with the bike

-but the black sprite looks very old, and I might work on that bike so I have matching his n hers black Raleigh’s.

The black one;

It has Matti’s denim seat! (I think?)
BEBA0F74-D211-46B3-84A0-4D59D04AB6EB.jpeg
11E0C44C-664D-4C30-B1F2-F6F2D20729D4.jpeg
39D7D634-1045-48FE-99C4-8C6FE15C7B61.jpeg
A81FD087-F9EF-4C07-B33A-B4D8565C3329.jpeg
4855FD74-A1D8-4F9B-A81C-665E0FC02398.jpeg
E09634CE-F480-4994-B5A0-F3D77927EE71.jpeg
8A659736-5966-4EB7-AEF2-EB7B8173C5B3.jpeg

Attachments

• 47A033E8-2BED-4C61-8B0C-1445B75F57F3.jpeg
    47A033E8-2BED-4C61-8B0C-1445B75F57F3.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
I was thinking about calling Ingola in on this, but I knew you guys would have it covered. For my money, a Raleigh is probably a better riding bike than a Schwinn, but I don't buy any raleighs, because I know if I need one, I can find what I want in ingola's yard. And that denim seat is way too tidy to be a Matti job.

I was thinking about calling Ingola in on this, but I knew you guys would have it covered. For my money, a Raleigh is probably a better riding bike than a Schwinn, but I don't buy any raleighs, because I know if I need one, I can find what I need in ingola's yard. And that denim seat is way too tidy to be a Matti job.
Ha! being a Yank’, I definitely prefer the Schwinn: both bike makes are both quirky and classy in their own way.

my goal here with all these Raleigh scores at this point is:

make matching his and hers out of the proper rat rod and this black step through I just found

get blue bike 100% functional and sell

get brown bike 100% functional and sell

sell green alto frame and whatever parts left that I can. If they don’t sell, I’ll just pin them in storage

Last edited:
Ha! being a Yank’, I definitely prefer the Schwinn
I knew my statement would cause some blowback. Don't worry, Raleigh has nothing like the style of a Camelback or a DX, coppertone is still coppertone, and I might actually prefer Schwinn green

View attachment 105715 I’m new to the site but scored this Ross out of my neighbors trash a month or so ago.

I think it’s a 1960? Anyone know for sure?

With fresh tubes n tires and a little wd-40, the bike would work perfectly.

I know it’s not a men’s heavyweight like everyone is soft on, but I’m thinking of using this bike for a RRBO.
That would be very desirable to a hip high school girl. It’s in great shape. Takes the right person, not every girl wants a mountain bike.

Raleigh had a camelback:
1683423670531.png

Growing up in Ohio in the 60's, Schwinn ruled the neighborhood streets. The few kids that had them held a higher status, like royalty while most of the other kids had Murrays and Huffys. I had an Evans, pretty low on the totem pole by neighborhood standards. Then one day a kid showed up on a Raleigh 3 speed. Snubbed at first, then king of the neighborhood when he shifted into high and left everyone in the dust, even the fastest Schwinn. The end of Schwinn dominance.

Raleigh had a camelback:
View attachment 231185

Growing up in Ohio in the 60's, Schwinn ruled the neighborhood streets. The few kids that had them held a higher status, like royalty while most of the other kids had Murrays and Huffys. I had an Evans, pretty low on the totem pole by neighborhood standards. Then one day a kid showed up on a Raleigh 3 speed. Snubbed at first, then king of the neighborhood when he shifted into high and left everyone in the dust, even the fastest Schwinn. The end of Schwinn dominance.
Raliegh man have a good collection better steal, better gearing, better bike
IMG_20210929_154348503_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220531_100905781.jpg
IMG_20220612_220408638_HDR.jpg

Three of the favorites I own

Raleigh had a camelback:
View attachment 231185

That bike is wicked cool!

I didn’t realize you were a buckeye!

I was born and raised in Newark, OH……

Not my bike, but I had a red Hercules just like it that got left down in Gitmo. That's a long story.

I was born in Cleveland the year Cleveland Welding Company moved their bike manufacture to Arkansas because of the Unions. Growing up I never heard of Cleveland Welding Company bikes.
I grew up in Sandusky, early 60's, riding bikes all day only stopping to eat or drink, then out until dark every day of summer vacation. There was a limestone quarry nearby that had large expanse of smooth limestone to ride on with man made hills to ride on, good for sledding too. The best part was a rift in the limestone 1/4 mile long, a raised portion that made a perfect jump. A dozen of us would get to full speed and jump at the same time.
1683460264924.png

Raleigh had a camelback:
View attachment 231185

Here is my Raleigh built Hercules. Same bike as above, different head badge. Phillips also made a camelback. Hercules also made a pre Raleigh take over camel back that was much better built and better looking than the Raleigh version.
446B4BC2-973E-49EF-9E6C-A1950A9F4AD2.jpeg

Latest posts

Back