Jacksonville NC rescue mission "No country for old Metros"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm leaving tomorrow or tonight or sometime in between for Jacksonville North Cakalacky to rescue a high school friend. I got the call about a week ago my best friend from high school is getting deployed for Afghanistan. He and his wife who I also grew up with are totally unprepared for him being gone for 6-7 months(i think) This is his third tour. He missed his daughters birth last time he was gone. I ended up taking his wife to all of her appointments. Well she is going to be down there alone with a 5spd geo metro and she can't drive standard.... :roll: I will be driving my 08 wrangler unlimited and car dolly down and moving her and her daughter as well as a metro full of belongings back to western mass! It will be my first time towing a car trailer any distance in 5 years however I've traversed the east coast 3 times so far with my camper and twice with my motorcycle. I'm not sure what this trip will entail or exactly how unprepared she is. Wish me luck and if anyone in the Jacksonville area knows of any awesome used bike shops ect let me know!
If it was up to me I'd be doing the trip on two wheels rather than a cage

civictires008.jpg

Kudos to you for taking care of a soldiers wife. I can't believe they've deployed some of those guys as many times as they have. Good luck to you and your friend both. Gary

At least she'll be driving a Civic instead of a Geo Metro. lol. I'm just messing with yah. That kinda sucks that she has to drive it with an exhaust like that and having kids in it. I can't imagine having a two door hatchback and kids that are in a car seats still. Seeing it with the exhaust, rims, and the SiR decal on the back. Does it have the original engine in it? Those can be snappy little cars with engine swaps and can't imagine learning to drive stick with a swap. Those things rev to the moon.

Hopefully he knows backing up is almost impossible with a dolly! When we moved, we towed my Ford F250, and ended up in a parking lot we couldn't turn around in! :( Ended up breaking the steering box in the Ford!~Adam

Ok just got back. The picture of the civic was actually our scca car when we first bought it. I am fairly Decent at moving those dollys around.

Ok so I've been home a full day now and have caught up on some sleep. The trip was fairly uneventful suffered from numerous lighting failures but it all worked out. I do have one story from the road I would like to share. I had stopped in northern virginia for breakfast and ended up sitting next to gentleman who was riding a motorcycle, we struck up a conversation about bikes and it led to our destinations it turns out he is marine stationed in the town I was on my to, he was on his way to Fort Bragg for one of his friends memorial service. (or something along those lines) I know it gets said here a lot but I do really appreciate the sacrifice these men and woman as well as there families make. I have a few pictures from the road Ill post soon

Good thing you didn't take the trip a couple of days later. You do NOT want to be on a No.Va. Interstate (or any other, probably) during a foot and a half snowfall.

Back