It's hydraulic.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dumpster gods were smiling on me, thats for sure. I picked up this beauty from the dump. Between the gorgeous color and the advanced technology, I can't see how any one could have chucked this baby. :roll: It is kinda neat in it's own quirky, over engineered way though and its got good tires I need. The troxel seat is cool too.
P1011138.jpg

P1011139.jpg

P1011140.jpg

P1011141.jpg

P1011142.jpg

So they called in hydraulic but its really pneumatic? How'd that get through marketing??? The engineering dept. must have gone bananas. As an engineer, I've had my run ins with marketing, none ever that bad.

PNEUMATIC probably didn't look good painted on the frame! :) Those ports must be for the diagnostic computer. :roll: While the mechanism still functions, (I didn't road test it but when you squeeze the brakes squeeze the rim) I can't see it being very efficient. I wouldn't ride down a hill that's for sure. Maybe i'll try connecting actuator bellows to a horn.

painted with antifreeze ?!? :shock: :lol: actually a cool color, cant say id ever seen that kinda brake setup before though

uneasy rider said:
that thing is sick, i wouldn't change a thing. epitome of 70's retro. and a sears no less.
Yeah, it is starting to grow on me. And everyone knows sears made the best pneumatic braking bicycles. :lol: Now where did I put my crash helmet?

disastrous idea those pneumatic brakes. how can you generate enough pressure to apply any noteworthy force on those brakes? huge too! they prob thought "brakes that are THAT huge must be VERY powerful just by nature"

but i must admit they have a very high cool factor!

......hello?.....hello?. Smithsonian?.... What do you know, they hung up.. I had just the spot for it too.
Smith.jpg

Those Wright Brothers get all the good spots.

Well the Smithsonian is a no-go. I guess in the old shed is the next best thing. I'ts like bicycle purgatory.
P1011168.jpg

Some schwinns, frames and my Higgins inside.
P1011169.jpg

A Schwinn, a Raleigh and a Free Spirit under this tarp.
P1011170.jpg

And some old 50's girls Columbias and other stuff here. Time for a dump run.
P1011171.jpg

Believe it or not I had that whole shed cleaned up and organized this last spring. I'm getting a new big shed this spring for all my lawn equipment and yard stuff. Can't wait!

I picked up this beauty from the dump

Somebody had to like it to keep it alive for this long.

But let me get this straight....you could only stop by pedaling, ie, once pedaling built up enough pressure to compress the brakes? I could almost see pneumatic assisted brakes except for one thing-regular brakes work fine.

No, the brakes hand lever has a bellows built in to it that pumps both front and rear.

Back