Its done! - Teens Era "New England"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See some of the conversation here in the fresh finds forum -

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=36592&start=0

In the few months ive had this bike, ive come to see it as one of the crowning jewels of my collection, if not the oldest. The bike originally had wooden wheels and semi-pnumatic tires, an awesome touch, but not quite my style, i like riding my bikes and i weigh over the 150 pound weight limit that we loosely associate with wooden rimmed bicycles of this era.

heres the quoted text and pictures from the other thread...

lobsterboyx said:
0a37dfe6.jpg

7b590eee.jpg

b95092b8.jpg

"knifes edge" cranks and beautifully preserved chain ring.

ebd938e3.jpg

this is probably worth more than i paid for the bike.

128be7d9.jpg

amazing original decal

b2ef7eec.jpg

nice old horn - this thing is loud as h***.

745ad9fd.jpg

i was concerned the red was painted on. but uppon cleaning it ever so delicately, im resigned on the fact that it is completely original.

google reveals nothing. my guess is that its a dayton, but then again, ive never had anything this old. im going to do a graphite rub of the headbadge tonight as its too big to photograph completely.

7cd15a4b.jpg

i do not believe this ever had a tank or chainguard, so now the only things missing are the wheels and the drop stand.

as found condition:
0ea36be4.jpg

so wait... where are the wheels? - good question. a collector friend and i decided to break the bike up, he needed some wheels for a display at his collection and i wanted this amazing untouched piece of history. - many suggestions came for where to find wheels but i liked the idea of the modern velocity 29er mountain bike rims.

in stepped my girlfriend and secretly bought me the rims. i bought a model a hub from my friend and fellow forum member slick and my good friend rev106 laced them up for me. thank you both.

I put it all together today and here is the finished result.

ae9940b6.jpg

well - almost finished, still need to put the chain on it and make a brake arm band.

fa66e995.jpg

47b71a4d.jpg

i got the NOS dropstand from memory lane.

b19fee60.jpg

to the untrained eye - this looks almost exactly as it did stock

8c370194.jpg

ive been soaking a chain i have for a bit - hopefully its long enough - ill go out and take care of it before it gets dark - ill be back with a full ride report.

Definitely a jewel ! Beautiful bike, anyone would be proud to have it 8)

thats a sweet addition to your collection! 8) its nice to see a vintage bike make it this long, without being tweaked,rusted or picked over. i`d have to keep that one indoors! :mrgreen:

Im seriously in awe of this bike - the wheels were the best choice. i realized that the next 2 weak points are the seat and the pedals. the seat is so pristine, i dont want to ruin it, so ill be looking for a period seat that i wouldent be upset if it broke, ill also be ordering a set of repop red pedals.

Latest posts

Back