IT'S ABOUT TIME...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Picked this 1980 Schwinn Cruiser 5 up from a fellow Schwinn collector in the area.

I've been looking for a Cruiser 5 with the ATOM drum brake for quite a while now and never came across the right one.

Kevin put this one up for sale this week on the CL and I debated back and forth whether to buy it and decided to sell a few items off to go ahead and get it.

Plans include a complete tear down and detail, a black seat, some blue grips and maybe some different tires.

IMG_4326.jpg

IMG_4327.jpg

IMG_4328.jpg

IMG_4329.jpg

WhiteShadow said:
looks clean, it honestly might look better with a different seat. I like the seat, but not with the blue, but that's just my 2 cents.

Yeah...that's what I said in the text above....want to change to a black seat. :wink:

those cruiser 5's ride nice :) mine doesnt have the drum tho, just calipers front and rear. black seat is a must, i think some of those redline retrorunners would like nice with the blue :wink: but im sure you'll have that bike so shiny noone will be looking at the tires anyway.

Thanks Jeremy. :wink:

I've got to say...at the moment, this bike is a bit wobbly. A bunch of loose spokes, bearings loose, seat feels like a trampoline.

Will need a thorough going through to bring it back to spec.

No sweat man...that seat sticks out like a sore thumb...it feels about as good as it looks too, ha ha! :lol:

You can usually pick up the OG heavy duty seat for ~$20 on the Schwinn Forums if you want to go that route. I like the original black deluxe grips, but that's just my personal preference.

Good luck with the tune up.

I think member Queasy Rider may have a seat for me.

I've also decided to keep the original grips....black seems to balance it all out. :D

Rat Rod said:
No sweat man...that seat sticks out like a sore thumb...it feels about as good as it looks too, ha ha! :lol:

you may already know, but it looks like the rear springs on the seat arent in all the way, may have alot to do with how it feels, but the black messingers are about the nicest seats ive rode on.

That brown persons seat's rails underneath are all bent out of shape too....it's kind of a mess.

I never have liked the way those old springer seats like that feel anyway.

what are your plans for that brown seat? I would like that kinda seat for a build its perfect for it. PM me please.

A couple of notes about the seat for those who keep asking... :mrgreen:

1. The rails under the seat are severely bent over to one side...thus causing it to mount crooked.

2. This seat is seriously uncomfortable.

3. I plan to hang on to it in case I ever decide to sell the bike.

I was gonna say if you were gonna go with the blue grips,hit up a blue Mesinger seat!Those seats look dope in blue.And while you have to tru the wheels up any way why not swap for some blue nipples!

Back