Is this old Walmart Sting Ray worth buying?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just wondering if this bike is worth the $50 the seller is asking? They were $88 at Walmart when they came out. My friend says it's a turd and not to buy it. Just wondering what you guys think.
Screenshot 2023-07-20 10.23.26 PM.png

It depends on what you have planned. If you wanted a ratty looking stingray it would be good. To get it looking good like a real Stingray, you would have to spend some bucks. Here's a guy who bought some new parts but could have gotten a real one for about the same amount when it was all said and done.

The rust isn't surface rust on that bike. It's gone. The chrome was poor on that bike. Mechanically though it looks to be a solid bike, pedals aren't scuffed up nor is the seat or handlebar grips. They have some training wheel brackets on there, so maybe it hasn't seen much wear except for the rust. You might just air up the tires and add some oil and lube and you're riding for 50 bucks.
I'd offer half that amount and go from there.

If you are considering it for collectability, then do not buy it. There is zero collectable value in these. They also have some of the worst chrome life ever for any bike out there.
HOWEVER, if you want it to enjoy the fun of a banana seat muscle bike, then get it. You'll have free reign to customize it anyway you like without worrying about hurting it's value. Build something cool and have fun with it.

I'd offer half that amount and go from there.

HOWEVER, if you want it to enjoy the fun of a banana seat muscle bike, then get it. You'll have free reign to customize it anyway you like without worrying about hurting it's value. Build something cool and have fun with it.

But a good way to get your feet wet in the upcoming MBBO 😉

Agreed. That looks like a fun project to me. I'd offer less and then have fun with it!

Latest posts

Back