Is this frame safe?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I dont know if this is the right place...or up in the bike talk...Anyways!

I got this frame from boardtrack fan (his "Mystery" frame) I want to actually do something with it, but are these welds etc. trustworthy?
My dad said we could just cover everything with bondo, after smoothing everything out...but take a look
camera-gate314.jpg

Heres the frame, got a nice rake of the headtube
camera-gate312.jpg

Serial number...if anyone can help me figure out what it is
camera-gate311.jpg

Headtube welds(Dad says they are not rewelded, dont look like it either)
camera-gate310.jpg

Why is this all scratched up?
camera-gate309.jpg

camera-gate308.jpg

Definatly rewelded...Will they hold?(seat tube to BB)
camera-gate307.jpg

This isnt bad
camera-gate306.jpg

This ones gone...
camera-gate304.jpg

And finally, the BB is flared on the left side...how the heck does this happen and hows it fixable?

The welds are probably safe enough, The braces for the fenders will need some "work" :lol: . The BB, now that's something else! You'll, more then likely gonna have to replace it :lol:, so you'l be doing those welds over anyway :x . GOOD LUCK!

I think it would be safe. The seat stays have some funny holes.

Solution without welding the BB. 1. behind the messed up side, place some JB Weld. 2. Place bearing cups in the frame best as possible. 3. Assemble cranks and let dry. The the cups should align with the good side/critical side.

After I bead blasted my 38 Monarch, I was surprised to see how "rough" the metal work was, especially around the seat post area.

I pegged it for a Rollfast also. Except the welds on mine looked sweet when I had it stripped down.(except for the non factory one I filed down!) :wink:

ohhhhhhhhh that thing is a safety violation!!! itll snap in a heart beat!! just garbage!!!! send it to me!! ill give ya $5 for it :wink:
seriously though....its been rewelded at least once.......... there are some spots that youre gonna want to clean and reweld(if you just mud 'over it itll just cause future headaches like cracking then youll just have to strip it all off and do it right anyway!) it should be rideable just dont take it off any curbs or anything. but again id bead blast it,find all the crack and bubblegum welds, and redo them. also i was serious if you want to get rid of that ill pay what you paid and shipping

TheFlyingDingo said:
I should make it a BMX straight bar!
yay!
I second that sentiment :| . Of course, it's yours. I put a fork from a small framed Schwinn Racer in mine, but you can go with a fork with a longer steer tube and have it re-threaded, maybe by a plumbing dept at a hardware store. Mine is a mid 20's Elgin.

Hercules020.jpg

Here's a Schwinn (geometry looks similar) or maybe Mead.

33b10e-1.jpg

Also, the bottom bracket, heat it up and get a piece of something solid to reinforce it, then smack it back down and grind it. Somebody bent it cold like that, so you should be able to bend it back without much trouble.

Boardtrack fan said:
Just for the record I want everyone to know that I GAVE this frame to Dingo for free! And I told him if he rides it and breaks his neck I'm not responsible!
Just wear a neck brace while yor riding, you should be fine! :shock: Those welds don't look too bad. They're not pretty, but they look solid. What's that crack in the underside of the seat stays near that bolt hole?... and oh yeah. Count me in :? .

Back