? Is this Dual Front Fork gonna Fly ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. relax, it's not a Worksman...it's one of two bikes a neighbor dropped in my yard.
Pretty rusty and dirty, but a decent bike underneath to flip. So, I spent yesterday afternoon detailing it
I took apart the front fork to get at the bearings....and you can see what I did here:

27331850556_37e7d8e81a_b.jpg

I cut off the butt ugly front bracket that holds the posts for the front brake. Rear brake is enough on this one.
Then I smoothed it and got rid of stickers and shot a little paint on the forks, shined up the chrome on the 'ahem' boxxer fork
Well, since it's a suspension fork, the bottom legs twist around. I don't want to weld that bracket back on, and with the tire on, the top cap tight there is just a teensy bit of play
What do the pros think? Is it OK as is?
thanks and regards,
Franco

I kinda like those forks and picked up a NEXT bike cheap at auction just for that fork. It really looks cool without the brace but I am wondering how much it adds to the structure too. Might me good for a coaster brake build tho. I'm impressed how heavy the triple trees are on the one I have!

My guess is that it will work fine depending on how hard the bike will be ridden. If you're just using it as a street cruiser the axle will probably keep things straight, but if you take it to the trails or even jump over curbs I'd be a little concerned.

This is just a guess, I have never tried anything like this first hand!

the biggest problem I can see is that without the fork brace the fork legs will try to move independently, putting more stress on the dopouts and the axle. I wouldn't go off-roading with it.

I will have to look and see if mine has those tabbed flat washer things to help retain the axle spindle. Some of them are pretty stout.

Good points..especially about the off road rock hopping..appreciate it.
After reading this...I think I'll weld in a slimmer, homemade, not as noticeable fork brace on the rear. more subdued.

It's a big heavy bike but set up as a single speed, as the derailleurs were missing when I got it. the chain was also set on such an angle that made riding it impossible. so I reset it to 42:21 combo, (basically middle to middle on any...most mtn bikes) a good compromise for nice easy pedaling on flats.

Both bikes the guy left in my yard had these forks...they are rugged as can be Horsefarmer, you're right. I was pretty impressed too when I took it apart. well built, good welds, parts fit together without any slop, and the chrome didn't flake off like other cheapo bikes like this. In fact, I'm saving the other fork for a build.:happy:

Thanks for responding
franco

Last edited:
Here is the problem . The legs start to go indie on each other, so the front wheel goes all squiggly. So heres what i did...
I took off the ugly MTB brace...and

Horse SHOE..!!

Here is the problem . The legs start to go indie on each other, so the front wheel goes all squiggly. So heres what i did...
I took off the ugly MTB brace...and

Horse SHOE..!!

Now that is just downright Clever !
Great inspiration Outsider...
I like the way you think...
:happy:
Thank You
Franco

Just did the same thing a few weeks ago and yes the forks do twist a bit but only if you put the wheel between your legs and force the bars. I've done about 50 miles on it now with no noticeable problem.

My suggestion is to replace the front axle nuts with some wide-flanged track nuts, and make sure they're tight. I've got a similar fork style on my buildoff bike, and though you can make it deflect if you really lay it over on purpose, for regular riding it seems to be fine.

problem is when u cut that brace theres no support anymore for the legs so in result they will wobble and flop around. So long story short a brace must be reinstalled or prepare for a danger ride down a steep hill

thanks to all for the great replies
I actually 'trimmed' the old brace down...cut off the posts, rounded the top...made it appear like more of a 'horseshoe ' as Outsider did.
Since I'm selling this bike, don't want to chance it wobbling or worse for the new owner.
Franco

image.jpg
The travel on my forks is only about one inch. It's a pogo stick suspension off a cheap mountain bike. I used it for the look more than the suspension.

Last edited:
View attachment 25939 The travel on my forks is only about one inch. It's a pogo stick suspension off a cheap mountain bike. I used it for the look more than the suspension.
I would say it's mainly for the look, perhaps.. But I just did up another 'free' bike the other day..a NEXT....same fork I guess...not aluminum collar..all steel, and the same thing...it's rugged and cleans up nice...
hmmm...May start looking for more of these forks :39:
As mentioned , I shaped the old brace, re welded, smoothed, re-shot the paint...it's good to go. :thumbsup: Actually, it is noticeably more stable now.
Franco

27359853442_a144c3e6aa_b.jpg

Latest posts

Back