is this bs?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CCR said:
necessaryevil said:
I don't think he claims that it is an original grape, just a super nice restoration. Looks like a mix of original Krate and '98-'99 repop parts to me. I wonder why he did a coaster krate sprocket and chainguard :| Nonetheless, I'd love to own/ride it, just not for that much dough.

looks like he took a 1999 grape krate (schwinn made the grape krate in 1999) and he turned it into a 5 speed like the original krates. hes probably got a bunch of $ sank into it, but its not an original 60s/70s bike. the rear atom is likely because the 99's were coaster brake bikes (no rear brake mount and hence the coaster guard) hes got a pete seat, grips and crossflag caps in the original 60's violet color, the frame and chainguard color from 99 was called "grape" as far i know.

Oh man, you're right. I didn't even notice that the frame doesn't have the caliper brake mount. So it's basically a stock '99 Grape Krate with 70's wheels and shifter :| . No wonder he doesn't show the serial number, I bet it's numbered somewhere between 0001-1999. It'd be a nice rider, but worthless as far as a collectible bike.

It didn't make much sense when I saw it in the first listing and the sold price of $1500+ and when I clicked on his other parts for sale the exact same bike has 4 hrs left and 23 bid up to $1150 right now. I hate dishonest criminals!

I have a friend in Denver who restores classic and vintage Krate's and does custom paint in original colors on most of them, but even though he doesn't list it as a restore or a replica he also doesn't ask collector prices for them. Now if someone asks him if they are total original he is honest and explains how he is sitting on a huge stockpile of vintage parts and everything is either NOS or reconditioned original. Now it might not be the original part from the original bike but at least he is honest with whoever may ask the question.

This however is just another example of someone praying on the ignorance of shoppers on the worlds largest shady department store.

As always it a Buyer Beware scenario...

Later Travis

Back