Is this an authentic 333 grip shifter and fits 1965 playboy?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx3

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a few of these from the estate of a bike collector / dealer and I want to make verify this is a legit/authentic 333 Shimano shifter. Is this the same shifter found on a 1965 Columbia playboy? I would appreciate any thoughts.

thank you.

ditAf51.jpg

tgz2zYT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tgz2zYT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ditAf51.jpg

Looks just like the shifters on our early 70's 3 speeds from JC Penneys. It should have a small screw in the middle hole on the bottom to hold it better to the handlebars.

First off, thank you so much for your reply and input, I really appreciate your help. I have a few of these grips and attached is a pic of the screw and hole I think you are referring to. Any idea if this grip was OEM on a 1965 columbia? I've googled images of that bicycle and I can see it does have a grip/twist shifter, but I cannot determine if this is the same one.

thanks
robert

1k6VtB8.jpg

All the old grip shifters for Shimano have all looked the same, I don't think they made a different one back then. I would bet that's the same kind.

Thank again for the reply. Have you ever come across or seen a repo 333 twist grip shifter? I wouldnt image this would be something repo'ed or repo'ed since the market for these is ultra small.

Tinkerbull said:
Had a Raleigh muscle bike once with a similar shifter, do they fit sturmey archer to?

NO. Sturmey Archer vs Shimano are not compatable. The amount of cable pull between detents/clicks is different.

rick

in this 1965 ad it specs 333 hub and shows a twist grip. Just not enough detail to show the 3.3.3 molding in the artist's drawing.
1965Playboy88.jpg.w560h753.jpg

Web images of others' bikes show SA hubs on some of them.

Like most other companies, Columbia probably changed specs every so often.

Back