Is it too rusty?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

So a few months back i picked up a 39 roadmaster frame from Jerry (american pickers Mi episode).
I was and am stoked to build my interpretation of a boardtracker. This frame has sat on the side of a barn under an awning for a long time. I get it home and started scrubing away at the welds to expose the copper. I then read about people soaking stuff in vinegar so i gave that a try. Well, I'm not happy with the look for starters but it exposed an issue that wasn't visiable before. On the bottom tube underneath there is a bunch of pinholes. The rest of the frame is good and this rash of pinholes are in the middle of that tube, away from the welds.

Structurally what do you guys think? Have you used frames with known rust-through and was there any issues? Eventually i was going to put a motor on this bad boy but now am def having second thoughts on even making a bike out of it.

I'll try and post pics tonight.

-Brad

Re: Is it to rusty?

Pinholes=bad! Definitely forget the motor idea! Could be salvageable, but you might want to get some metal welded in there. -Adam

Is it a brazed frame? If so it wouldn't be a big deal to just replace the damaged tube. Of course its still a gamble because you don't know the internal condition of the rest of the tubes.

Personally I'd make a wall hanger out of it or if at all possible replace the tube and try to assemble it and put weight on it, kinda bounce up and down on it and see if it holds up. Definitely forget the motor.

If that tube is rusty on the outside,its probably worse on the inside.

A doner girls bike may have the same down tube.

Sleeve it on the inside before you weld it.

...., wall art it is then... or anyone want it as a partial trade for another straight bar frame?

Hi! I use white vinegar to eat out rust all the time - it works great as you found out. I had a pedal one time I took apart and soaked the parts in vinegar - there was so much rust on the axle end and holding nut that they no longer hung on to each other - parts pedal. Still better than the pedal breaking or letting go under extreme pressure. A 1939 CWC frame is not all that easy to find so it's a shame to "wall it" but it may not be cost effective to repair either. Still, even when you find a straight down tube CWC it ain't no $50 frame either. Good luck with your project and Have Fun! Robert

Its a straight down tube?

ANY doner bike with a long enough tube the same diameter will work.

Back