is it a clunk or a creak :P

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recently acquired hercucles bike is making an odd noise, ive stopped it twice and its started back again each time after a few days

ive narrowed it to the chain, rear wheel and bottom bracket
seems that it isnt every pedal revolution but just over
the noise is a hard vibration / loud creak depending on the strength of pedalling, ive noticed the chain moves approx 1mm where its in contact with the rear cog, seems to make a single clunk when it does, - when pedalling is more constant
im at a loss im gunna swap the chain tomorrow but i dont see it helping

any help would be great peeps
cheers

all valid and im thankful, last night I took out the whole bottom bracket, gave it a nice overhaul with greese etc, i tightened the rear hub, just to stop the play, i took off teh chainring, chain and cleaned the CRAP outta them, put it all back together - snapped a cotter pin and ive just gone to the shop to get a new one :p
havnt tried it yet, but it feels alot smoother so im hoping,

and to reply to a few of you, pedals are my old union rat traps with nice smooth bearings
as for the chaintoo tight I have a problem with the chain going from slack to overly tight during its rotation !!!!!!!!!!!!!
ive noticed the front sprocket is a tad bent but only very slight, the wear is also fairly negligible

v7y8z.jpg

imkxnq.jpg

246rhhs.jpg

2rdb4zn.jpg

you can straighten chainrings.

put the bike upside down and turn the cranks. looking at where the chainring goes past the chainstay. use some kind of lever tool, against the chainstay to pull out the chain ring from the wheel. or tap it with a hammer to push it in.

It might be that the bearings in the hub are needing replaced. Its reasonably easy to service a Strumley Archer hub. Theres some youtube video guides.

heloooo

I have replaced the chain with an old one (sadly its a mix of white gold and black)...wel amusingly anyway

thanks 808 it is a sweet machine,
now running noiseless :p
ive also painted more of it back to black and sorted various bits
will update pic soon

Latest posts

Back