TRADITIONAL Iron & Oxygen

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To those that read my post in the discussion - some of this will be redundant.
In March, I drove an hour and a half north to a farm in Manistee, Michigan where there was a "buy all or nothing" sale of bikes and parts of varying decay.
I came home with a van-full, but the one I was after was a 1940 DX.
Here is the view of what was left of her.
IMG20240313223019.jpg

I carefully disassembled the carcass to ascertain what was salvageable and structurally sound. I walked away with the frame, tank and fork and one of the two truss rods.
It is to be determined if the front fender is salvageable.

The good news is I picked up this ladies pre-war DX, and with a little coaxing, I have convinced her to give up her drivetrain and whatever other tidbits.
(I also have a taker for what's left of her and will be hand-delivered to Monroe this Sunday)
434713199_2778544888963106_6707711015892599307_n.jpg

I've always been a big fan of the Prewar DX and their winged tanks. I intend nothing crazy with this build. My goal is to keep with the true spirit of a Rat Rod and make one-helluva rider. It is named "Iron & Oxygen" as the entire haul of bikes were about two more winters away from returning to the earth as minerals.

IMG20240318223557.jpg

The Build-Off arrived with perfect timing in that Memory Lane and Monroe swaps are this week. Hoping to land some more parts for the build and who knows what other treasures.

Any other Rat Rodders attending? You'll recognize me, I'm the old guy with a big grey beard :21:

In March, I drove an hour and a half north to a farm in Manistee, Michigan where there was a "buy all or nothing" sale of bikes and parts of varying decay.
View attachment 263777
I carefully disassembled the carcass to ascertain what was salvageable and structurally sound. I walked away with the frame, tank and fork and one of the two truss rods.

The good news is I picked up this ladies pre-war DX, and with a little coaxing, I have convinced her to give up her drivetrain and whatever other tidbits.
(I also have a taker for what's left of her and will be hand-delivered to Monroe this Sunday)
View attachment 263780

I've always been a big fan of the Prewar DX and their winged tanks. I intend nothing crazy with this build. My goal is to keep with the true spirit of a Rat Rod and make one-helluva rider. It is named "Iron & Oxygen" as the entire haul of bikes were about two more winters away from returning to the earth as minerals.

View attachment 263781

The Build-Off arrived with perfect timing in that Memory Lane and Monroe swaps are this week. Hoping to land some more parts for the build and who knows what other treasures.

Any other Rat Rodders attending? You'll recognize me, I'm the old guy with a big grey beard :21:

There he is! 🤣

Screenshot_20240501-110115_Chrome.jpg

View attachment 263777

View attachment 263780

View attachment 263781

I think @jd56 is going to MemoryLane

Love that DX. The paint has a perfect ratina on it with all of the right details still showing up well. Killer base for a cool build!

I like the bike and the name! Looking forward to it. The graphic is cool too!

I really wanted to be there this week but it didn't work out for me. I did however send my latest build and it will be in the show at Monroe. Go check it out!
RMS road trip.jpg

Well, Memory Lane and Monroe swaps came and went and no prewar DX fenders were found 😕
I did pick up two cool Elgins and a third Elgin lady donor bike.

Tonight the lady prewar Schwinn gave all she had to give. Hoping to get the wheels stripped down for a refinish and rebuild. Fender braces and stem (with coaxing) were removed after this photo.
IMG20240416184438.jpg

While it may not look like much progress, I had a busy weekend. I picked up a pretty clean 41 ladies bike at Monroe last Sunday. Finally went to get it Thursday night and spent Saturday harvesting the parts from it and putting new whitewalls on the wife’s 52 BF Goodrich badged Co-Ed.

So it would seem my pursuit of period correct fenders and chainguard are now complete. Now …I really need to think about a vision. Do I do more of a resto-mod or do I try to faux patina - something I’ve never done - to the fenders and chainguard to match? Hanging out on the CABE has made me want to preserve what’s left of the finish, but the other part of me would like to give this bike fresh life. Maybe those two things aren’t mutually exclusive?
IMG_3037.jpeg
IMG_3036.jpeg
IMG_3038.jpeg

Back