interested in a mountain bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening guys an gals looking for some input on a good all around mountain bike an ideas on a good starter that I can ride for years don't want to break the bank just a good solid starter with room to grow

Your best option is your local Craigslist. Otherwise without a price range, making a reccomendation will be hard.

Pretty much anything made by Specialized, Trek, Giant etc.... will be fine. Components Shimano Deore(group) or Sram X series are fine. Most everything can be upgraded as needed.

"Don't want to break the bank" means something different to everyone. $450 is just about the ground floor in MTB prices these days, but that's a good "bike shop quality" bike. This can be a bike that lasts for years and years if treated well enough and maintained.

I have been looking at the c-list an I see a lot of trec bikes with prices around 150 to 1900 what I really want to know is the suspension most of what I'm seeing is rigid does it ride an handle as well as the ones suspension an breaking the bank means a 1900 bike is definitely out of the question

I agree Craigslist is your best bet for a good deal on an MTB... maybe swing by your local thrift stores (sometimes they will get a decent older one donated).

As far as what type goes... it depends on what kind of riding you will really be doing. If you are mainly going to be on the road and on light trails, an older classic rigid (non-suspension) mountain bike will be fine - and will get you the most quality for the least money. Some very nice older mountain bikes are almost given away. Chromoly steel frame bikes usually cost less than the aluminum frames and are more flexible when riding.

If you plan on getting into aggressive trail and cross country riding, downhill, jumps, freestyle, etc. then you will need to look at a high quality full suspension bike (no Wally World or sporting goods store bikes) - these are expensive.

If your riding will be somewhere in between, then a quality front suspension hardtail MTB is what you should look for.

unless ya really are going off trails, and roughing it, ya dont need suspension. Get one with aggressive knobbies, and enjoy. Spend 50 to 100, and ride it til ya break it. It may never break.
I have a old Huffy, its fine. Though I bought a new Specialized Crosstown, for trails. It has front suspension. I dont need it,but it came with it. It was under 500. I enjoy my oldies more... Problem is, I see rougher trails, and im on the Crosstown, wishing I was on the Huffy. THATS why ya need a couple bikes....

Thanks guys I do plan on trails I have an old dept store bike with front suspension maybe before I spend a small fortune I should just fix that 1 up an see what I want to do I've got all the parts to fix it up anybody explain to me how the to repair the shifter where it shifts again it has a shimono

Back